Ubuntu Edge

NotJay

2[H]4U
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/x/4040647

you guys should check out this phone
it looks really good but the fact that you have to pay now + you won't get this phone till may of next year really bothers me
i mean a lot could happen between now and may of next yr

quick spec from link
Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
64 x 9 x 124mm

what's your opinion?

Last edited:
The only thing on that that I want is Sapphire Crystal Glass...

Otherwise, I'm not spending $600 on an unpopular platform (prediction). Heck, if Amazon launches an Indiegogo campaign for an Amazon phone for $600 with the same hardware and specs, I'd probably consider it more just because Amazon has more consumer reach.

And I don't believe this campaign will get anywhere near $34 million until he puts in his own money.

I'm also predicting that ChromeOS and Android will merge sooner or later. And Microsoft will get their act together when they deliver on an x86 mobile OS.

Therefore, $600 on a DOA product, no thanks. At least the Ouya, another DOA product, could inspire and actually had a chance.

Screen is too small, both dimension and resolution wise. The body/construction sounds awesome.

I think the screen is perfect for phone. 720p or 1280x768 at that size with rgb stripe is more than enough. Way over 300ppi.

The Ubuntu Edge is an exclusive production run, available only through Indiegogo

So basically it is going to have shit for support and Ubuntu will come out with a better phone later if this succeeds.

If this was priced down close to a Nexus 4 it might have better success. By the time the phone ships, $600 spent on this may look like a ripoff.

So basically it is going to have shit for support and Ubuntu will come out with a better phone later if this succeeds.

If this was priced down close to a Nexus 4 it might have better success. By the time the phone ships, $600 spent on this may look like a ripoff.

if this project happens, this will be yearly thing and each device will be supprted for 3yrs minimum

if this project happens, this will be yearly thing and each device will be supprted for 3yrs minimum

Those are always great plans in theory, however if the Edge has problem running the desktop software, it won't be long before the Edge 2 (or whatever) comes along with better support and far more usability.

Those are always great plans in theory, however if the Edge has problem running the desktop software, it won't be long before the Edge 2 (or whatever) comes along with better support and far more usability.

duh its suppose to be testbed

I gotta say it looks kinda interesting but I could care less about the dual boot setup. My concern is the ubuntu side will not have active sync support and other non-free things.

I kinda hope they can pull it off though. Just because if they do you will see better supported phones that have the software setup.

i donno
4GB of RAM minimum and a multicore processor fastest arm proc they can force in
- 128GB of internal storage
- Silicon-anode technology to increase battery life
- Dual LTE antennas and dual-band Wi-Fi
- Dual-boot into Ubuntu or Android
- Support for dock connector that launches desktop mode through HDMI
- 124 x 64 x 9 mm (4.9 x 2.5 x 0.35 in)
sapphire screen would need diamonds to scratch it

Honestly i was expecting a more ridiculous price for what they wanted to put in the thing

I know what they are trying to do here and its just not wort it. ARM based silicon isnt ready for full desktop usage, at most you will get a blown up image of what you are currently doing when the phone is docked.

The fact that they have no plans for a future SoC is also a red alarm, you dont have to mention what you ARE going to use but use someones road map and make a claim to something like "we are looking into possibly using NVidia's Logan chip!"

10 mil out of 33mil is very impressive...

Nice try it had a few things going for it but very very very few people in america will buy phones full price. We are conditioned not to and from such a small company (compared to Samsung, LG, HTC, Apple etc.) who wont be able to support it because lets face it not even the big companies can support their devices properly sometimes.

I also agree with Trimlock ARM isnt ready for desktop thats why I havent bought a Tablet since iPad 1, its all a toy with ARM tablets nothing more. Thats why I have a full featured W8 hybrid.

...very very very few people in america will buy phones full price. We are conditioned not to...

We are incentivized not to. The major carriers offer no discount for BYOD, so there's no logical reason not to buy phones on contract.

We are incentivized not to. The major carriers offer no discount for BYOD, so there's no logical reason not to buy phones on contract.

Both tmobile and att have very good prepaid plans. There are also mvno's that are excellent byod services.

ARM based silicon isnt ready for full desktop usage, at most you will get a blown up image of what you are currently doing when the phone is docked.

While there was some initial discussion that it might be an x86 SoC inside, I'm curious to hear more about why you feel this way about ARM?

While there was some initial discussion that it might be an x86 SoC inside, I'm curious to hear more about why you feel this way about ARM?
Current ARM designs are at best offer the same performance of PCs from 2008. Now, that said, I remember being able to do quite a whole lot on my PC from 2008. So I dunno what that is about either.

But, then again, Intel ULV Haswell right now on tablet could destroy all ARM devices. And Bay Trail (tablet SoC) and Merrifield (smartphone SoC) are coming too that lasts all day.

Intel's 5nm process coming in 2019-2020, I don't doubt that Intel will once again dominate the performance crowd.

Currently, Intel 12nm is coming next year, and 9nm after that.

So given a choose of a powerful chip that offers all day long performance or a chip that offers way less performance that may last 1.5 days, I think people would choose performance.

Full desktop experience terrible on arm, while this product has no definition on how it would work on desktop mode the lag input from devices alone are maddening. Plus ARM actual performance (speaking cpu entirely) is very far behind. The atom, while works decent with linux systems is still far ahead and may provide enough for a full up desktop experience, still would have to deal with input lag.

Full desktop experience terrible on arm, while this product has no definition on how it would work on desktop mode the lag input from devices alone are maddening. Plus ARM actual performance (speaking cpu entirely) is very far behind. The atom, while works decent with linux systems is still far ahead and may provide enough for a full up desktop experience, still would have to deal with input lag.

Wouldn't input lag be a problem unrelated to the SoC?

I have not read any reviews about the Exynos Chromebooks; my concern with the phone performance is more about the thermal limitations placed on the SoC. You can get power from a dock, but dissipating the heat would be hard in a phone form factor. So you're not going to be able to squeeze max performance out of the chip.

The Ubuntu for Android demos put out awhile ago didn't look like the smoothest experience, but of course there has been quite a leap in hardware since then, and next year we should see even better.

Current ARM designs are at best offer the same performance of PCs from 2008. Now, that said, I remember being able to do quite a whole lot on my PC from 2008. So I dunno what that is about either.

But, then again, Intel ULV Haswell right now on tablet could destroy all ARM devices. And Bay Trail (tablet SoC) and Merrifield (smartphone SoC) are coming too that lasts all day.

Intel's 5nm process coming in 2019-2020, I don't doubt that Intel will once again dominate the performance crowd.

Currently, Intel 12nm is coming next year, and 9nm after that.

So given a choose of a powerful chip that offers all day long performance or a chip that offers way less performance that may last 1.5 days, I think people would choose performance.
2008? Hell no. I'm quite sure that they are nowhere near Core 2. Maybe lowest possible end at that point but not top cpu's.

Wouldn't input lag be a problem unrelated to the SoC?

I have not read any reviews about the Exynos Chromebooks; my concern with the phone performance is more about the thermal limitations placed on the SoC. You can get power from a dock, but dissipating the heat would be hard in a phone form factor. So you're not going to be able to squeeze max performance out of the chip.

The Ubuntu for Android demos put out awhile ago didn't look like the smoothest experience, but of course there has been quite a leap in hardware since then, and next year we should see even better.

I guess it would depend on the controller.

Back