ud3 vs ud4

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

or

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4

the difference in price with the bundle is $50
The microcenter near me is out of the UD3 so I'm considering if the UD4 is worth the extra $50 but there are so few reviews on it.

Don't hesitate, to buy the GA-Z68XP-UD4, it'a great board for the price.
I had mine for over a month, and it's rock solid.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

or

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4

the difference in price with the bundle is $50
The microcenter near me is out of the UD3 so I'm considering if the UD4 is worth the extra $50 but there are so few reviews on it.

One caveat if you want to use the Sandy Bridge CPU's integrated Intel graphics (even if it's for things like Quick Sync): You will need a DVI-equipped monitor with a DVI-to-HDMI cable or an HDMI-equipped monitor with an HDMI cable in order to tap into the integrated graphics. This is because the Z68XP series mobos have only the single HDMI port for this use (no VGA or DVI ports). If you have only VGA out on your monitor, you will need a discrete graphics card in order to use that UD4 (this defeats the advantage of the integrated graphics).

Here's another caveat on the gigabyte board. I bought the z68xp-ud4 from microcenter and just found out sys_fan2 only outputs 5v instead of the usual 12v for fans. Before anyone goes and point out that you get more power if plugged into the psu, for a cleaner install I've always plugged my fans into the mobo. Other than that, I haven't fully tested out the systems yet.

One caveat if you want to use the Sandy Bridge CPU's integrated Intel graphics (even if it's for things like Quick Sync): You will need a DVI-equipped monitor with a DVI-to-HDMI cable or an HDMI-equipped monitor with an HDMI cable in order to tap into the integrated graphics. This is because the Z68XP series mobos have only the single HDMI port for this use (no VGA or DVI ports). If you have only VGA out on your monitor, you will need a discrete graphics card in order to use that UD4 (this defeats the advantage of the integrated graphics).

most gigabyte z68 boards come with virtu which allows you to use a discreet graphics card and use intergrated graphics for Quick sync and even allows for on the fly switching with monitor being plugged into only one (either into mobo hdmi or discreet card)

Back