UEFI Poll

What's your level of interest with UEFI

• Very High: Want to get my hands on experience as soon as it's available.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • High: It's long overdue and I'll take it into consideration with my next motherboard purchase.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Medium: It's a solid idea but I'm not that stoked.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Low: UEFI/BIOS...Whatever!

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
It'll influence my P67 board, but it's not a deal breaking if the board in my price range doesn't have it. I'll leave the 3TB disks solely for data on the server, not the gaming build.

It's high time for mobo manufacturers to start using UEFI already, and the sooner I can get my hands on a board that uses it effectively, the better. I don't expect that I'll be replacing the CPU and motherboard in my main rig for another two years or so, and hopefully by that time it'll be fairly ubiquitous in the high-end market. I recently saw a preview of an ASUS P67 motherboard using UEFI, so I think there's a decent likelihood that by the time I'm ready to upgrade I'll be able to find a good high-end board that uses it.

Yeah, I don't quite understand why the MB manufactures are so shy about this (not exactly) new technology.
They are ALL OVER the latest overclocking tweaks and thing that could possible send the MB and CPU up in smoke if applied wrong. Here is something that will make EVERYTHING more stable and reliable and they are dragging their feet?? WTF?

I could care less, current BIOS style has been with me since my first PC and is still working just fine IMHO.

Honestly EFI hasn't really caught on because it hasn't brought anything to the table manufacturers or end users care about. I won't give a crap either until it changes the "BIOS experience."

We need UEFI if people want to continue to see bigger system hard drives. I know most on here don't like big system hard drives, but most non-techy consumers do, or at least that's what they look at when buying a new PC.

Wasn't another big benefit of UEFI faster boot times?

Boot times on simple systems would most likely remain nearly the same. However for those of us using RAID controllers, LAN boot ROMs, etc, there could be massive gains in boot times which I'm all for. I like the concept of EFI but it hasn't done anything for us yet. Only two companies really champion it in the consumer space. Intel and MSI. Both of them have it on most if not all their models.

Funny I just came across this thread:

I had the pleasure of trying to update the BIOS and NIC firmware of our new Dell T710 on Monday. I spent the whole damn day because Dell's own fucking ISO's can't update ESXi servers because the scripts were written in BASH and ESXi uses ASH or whatever the hell the damn CLI/Linux flavor it is.

I was never impressed with Dell Open Manage and when I saw the UEFI logo and option, I just lumped it in the same category/thought it was the same thing. I figured what the hell, I got nothing to lose and I the thing is slicker than shit. Configured the networking for DHCP, had it go to the Dell FTP site and it automagically got ALL the updated firmware/BIOS updates and applied them.

UEFI is going to do for us CLI-haters what Mac did for Windows idiots.

Very interested in EFI as long as it doesn't take anything away from me such as overclocking.

It will help us get away from boards where the manufacturer just doesn't feel like implementing features of the chipset e.g. VT-d, and also incorrect implementations of such. And potentially faster booting is win (BIOS has to switch to 16-bit mode and use a bunch of hacks and is just a mess in general). And booting from GPT is win.

not interested much in this.i think the Asus P5Q had tried this on one of the MB's in the series?

Back