Ugh... will this power supply be enough?

Gambit

Gawd
I really hate to ask questions like this, as I'm sure this forum sees these questions all the time... but since evaluating how big of a power supply I'll need isn't my strong point, I turn to you guys for help.

I recently put together a gaming computer:

i7-920, Asus P6T, 12GB (2x6) ram, 2 DVD burners, 2-3 HDD's, Nvidia 280 GTX ... this would be powered by a Corsair 520HX

In case it'll help, here's the specs of the PSU:
+3.3@24A,+5V@24A,
+12V1@18A,
+12V2@18A,
+12V3@18A,
[email protected],+5VSB@3A

At this point, I'm not planning on doing any kind of SLI (which is good, as I *know* the PSU won't support that), though I *am* hoping to overclock it on air a bit.

If someone could help me out here and let me know if I'll need to get a better power supply and why (I'd really like to learn than just be told "get something better"), I'd *REALLY* appreciate it. Even if this power supply won't completely handle powering this system... can it handle it for a day or two (non oc'd) while I order a new one?

Maybe, but I doubt it. It could possibly work if you ditched half the ram and stuck with 1 HD and 1 CD drive until you could get a better PSU. 130w CPU, 140-290w GPU and then add in the RAM, HDD's, CD drives and mobo.

Like I said, you might be able to run the system by taking some power draw out of the equation, but still. I wouldn't run anything intensive on it, like benches. That poor little 520 would probably die.

Kinda what I was afraid of. In the meantime, I'm really not even looking to "use" the computer, just get Windows and applications reinstalled... do *something* rather than let it just sit there.

I suppose now the question is, do I order overnight from Newegg, hope they actually send it out today and get what I want, or try for a local shop and hope they have something good.

*edit*
Ahh... not sure why I'm *just* noticing this, but I just saw it only has 3 rails at 18A ... yeah... not gonna fly.

*edit*
Ahh... not sure why I'm *just* noticing this, but I just saw it only has 3 rails at 18A ... yeah... not gonna fly.

The Corsair 520HX is a single rail design with 40A on the +12V rail. The multiple rail listing on the PSU label was a labeling mistake that would have been too costly to fix by the time they caught it. If you look at any real review (like the one done by HardOCP and JonnyGuru) of the Corsair 520HX, those reviews will point out the Corsair 520HX has a single rail design.

Anyway, according to the Corsair PSU finder, as long as you keep your OC under 30% over the stock speeds, the Corsair 520HX will be enough for your current setup.

130 W PSU = 11A
290 W GPU = 24A
35 A max used if you load the GPU and CPU to their max possible TDP. Testing has shown that the GTX280 will not draw its max power. I would say your safe with that PSU but don't over-volt anything much if any. Your not leaving alot of headroom but your 520HX will suffice. I would probably not feel comfortable staying with that if it was a lesser brand of PSU. Pay attention to your voltages when you overclock. Under-powering will burn up components faster than anything short of a MAPP torch.

I'll be happy to be able just to be able to get the computer up and running while I look for another power supply.

only adding the CPU and GPU is short changing the entire equation. You forgot the RAM, MOBO and other peripherals that also draw power.

Besides, running a PSU at more than 75% it's rated power is bad. Unless you don't mind replacing shit.

I agree with all the above posters - your new i7 system with the gtx280 may be just too much for your corsair 520, you might want to consider the Corsair 750tx which would suit your needs much better imho. I believe the 750tx supports 60A on the 12v rail compared to the 40A on the 520

According to Corsair's PSU calculator, the 520hx will work.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/re...5801&cpu_oc=False&cpu_oc_ex=False&vc_oc=False

For entries, I selected Core I7 non-oc-ed, a single GTX280 non oc-ed, and 4 hard drives.

Most quality PSU's, such as Corsairs, PC P & C, etc, will run quite awhile at close to max rating, when the cheap ones will blow.

I'll admit that a 520 doesn't leave much headroom, so I wouldn't recommend pushing it hard in a warmer room and it would help if your case is well ventilated .

Edited to add: dooh! Just saw Danny's post with Corsair PSU calculator!

My recommendation: Hook it up with your 520 HX, get something running to load up your CPU, GPU, HDDs, whatever to make sure you are pulling as much power as you ever would from it. Watch your voltages. I'm sure there are ways to monitor all of your voltages with software and the single 12v rail simplifies this. Run it for 10-20 minutes and then see what the PSU exhaust is like temp wise. If your volts are good and the air coming out is not burning hot you should have no trouble.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

This is the [H] review of your PSU. If you were buying a PSU to go with your new parts I would say get the 750 and overkill it. Since you already own a quality PSU test it out to give yourself peace of mind but don't go drop another bunch of money unless you have a good way to make use of the 520HX elsewhere.

Back