Ultra X-Connect Review

Pixeleet

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, as I said, I would provide [H] with a semi-not-so-really professional review :) I did test the specs of this system using the equipment in my physics classroom, not going off voltage readings from the motherboard. Let me know if you need to know anything else about the power supply.

First, I'd like to outline the preliminary pros and the cons of this power supply:
PROS:
  • Modular (use only what cables you need)
  • Looks sleek
  • Cables are pre-sleeved (with plastic tubing as well)
  • UV-Reactive for a nice look (acquired tastes only)
  • Ample cables for any installation, P4 or AMD.
  • Dual 80mm fans for ample cooling
CONS:
  • The ATX Power Cable is extremely stiff. I attempted to install this PSU in a TT Tsunami and a DFI NF3 mainboard, and if I didn't put the cable inside the drive cage to straighten it out, it would have ripped the power socket right off the mainboard.
  • SATA cables not provided; however, Ultra is providing them for free from their website (with proof of purchase).
  • The caps to cover the unused connections on the power supply don't always stay on.
  • Squeeking noise comes from the PS when using the scroller on the mouse (MS Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0). Very annoying.
  • New: Warranty is only 1 year long. Most builders will be looking for at least 3 years.

Other things worth noting is that the power cables for the Ultra hookup to standard 4-pin molex adapters, Y-splitters, etc. making it extremely versatile. Also, these are the best plugs I’ve seen on any unmodded power supply. There is no chance of pulling a wire or two out of the molex connecter. These things stay together, and stay plugged in even with the lack of some sort of lock mechanism at either end of the power cables.

Here are the cables provided with the Ultra X-Connect:
  • a 4-pin 17.75” Intel P4 Mainboard Power Cable
  • a 20-pin 17.75” ATX Mainboard Power Cable
  • a 6-pin 17.75” Zeon Power Cable
  • a 4-pin 17.75” Power Cable
  • a 4-pin 21.75” Power Cable
  • a 17.75” Y-Cable with Floppy Drive and 2 4-pin Power Connectors
  • 2 17.75” Y-Cable with 2 4-pin Power Connectors

As you can see, the only things lacking are a power cable for the newest PCI-E rigs and a SATA cable, but like I said before, Ultra provides a SATA Y-Cable free with proof of purchase on their website. If for some reason you do need more cables, they sell kits and single cables on their website as well.

Some feel that the cables are too thick to bend and end up with a messier installation. Personally, the only cable I find thick enough to cause problems is the ATX connector. I’ve heard people soak the cables in warm water to make them more bendable, but I’m weary to put any electronic component, hooked up or not, near any liquid substance. Besides the ATX cable, I can route all the other cables behind the drive bays to leave the system free of a rat’s nest.

Inside the PSU, there’s not too much to be said. There are 2 80mm fans for cooling but compared to other 500W+ PSUs, this unit has significantly smaller heatsinks. Later on, I tested it to see if heat became an issue in system stability.

Now it’s specs time. The following are the voltages read from a voltmeter (courtesy of my high school).
  • +12V – 12.09V
  • +3.3V – 3.35V
  • +5.0V – 5.02V

These readings were from the BIOS after sitting idle for 30 minutes:
  • CPU – 1.53V
  • Chipset – 1.60V
  • AGP – 1.52V
  • DRAM 2.5V – 2.63V

Under idle conditions, this looks pretty spiffy, but we all want to know how this PSU handles under full load conditions. To do this, I ran the Prime95 Torture test, ripped a DVD to the HD, encoded an mpeg, transferred bin/cues from another computer over the network to the other HD, looped a demo from Quake3, and the ultimate killer, di.fm over Winamp :p Here’s what the voltages came out to be (a la voltmeter):
  • +12V – 12.12V
  • +3.3V – 3.37V
  • +5.0V – 5.125V

This PSU really has something going on. It looks nice and it’s rock-stable (imho). Ultra has released some sketchy products in the past, but it seems that with this PSU they really got their act together. The only major problem was the lack of flexibility in the cables, especially the ATX cable. But if you install this and route the cables correctly, the flexibility in the cables (or lack thereof) becomes a moot point when compared to the amount of space you’ll end up saving. I’m sure mid-level to expert modders could make any PSU rat’s nest look clean, but for the simple user, the modular aspect of this PSU is ideal.

At a current price of about $100, this PSU is a little expensive, but modular PSUs are relatively new and any new technology is going to cost more. Plus, it’s rated as a 500W PSU. Overall, I rate the Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU at a 8/10.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Ultra is a classic ol' powmax PSU to me before they released the x-connect. IMO, if you don't have an Ultra PSU that's an x-connect, it's probably a junker. I'm not here to promote Ultra, and in saying that, if you can't fork out the dope for an x-connect, by all means, go with a Forton or Antec.

I have one also, and most of the things you said are pretty true. Its a great PSU, the new 'version 2' x-Connect PSU, has more flexible cables but I cant say I like the new look of it. Ultra also has great customer support, mine died recently (long story), I've emailed them and they are going to replace it.

Pixeleet said:
Ultra is a classic ol' powmax PSU to me before they released the x-connect. IMO, if you don't have an Ultra PSU that's an x-connect, it's probably a junker. I'm not here to promote Ultra, and in saying that, if you can't fork out the dope for an x-connect, by all means, go with a Forton or Antec.
Did Ultra manufacture this PSU? The other Ultra models leave something to be desired, but who builds this one?

How is the noise level?
I currently have an Antec smartpower 400w, and it's pretty damn loud.
Since i'm trying to silence my system, I need a quieter PSU.

How is the noise on this one compared to say the enermax noisetaker line?

Pixeleet said:
CONS:
  • The ATX Power Cable is extremely stiff. I attempted to install this PSU in a TT Tsunami and a DFI NF3 mainboard, and if I didn't put the cable inside the drive cage to straighten it out, it would have ripped the power socket right off the mainboard.
  • SATA cables not provided; however, Ultra is providing them for free from their website (with proof of purchase).
  • The caps to cover the unused connections on the power supply don't always stay on.
  • New: Squeeking noise comes from the PS when using the scroller on the mouse (MS Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0). Very annoying.

Updated the cons. PSU going back to ZZ asap. Call me picky, but I can't put up with little things like that. :mad:

I would also consider a 1-year warranty on a $100 PS definitely a "con." I've been shopping for a new PS, and at first liked the Ultra X-Connect, but started looking elsewhere when I saw the warranty. To me, a 1-warranty, when most enthusiast power supplies are at least 3-year clearly indicates: a) the manufacturer doesn't believe in the quality of the product, and/or b) they don't want to deal with customers' warranty claims.

I have the X-Connect now as well. I picked it up for $100 so yes it is a tad expensive.

But as far as build quality I am more than impressed.

The ATX cable is large and at first is hard to bend. But after a week or so of being in my case I re-routed alot of cables and the ATX cable was alot more friendly after it had been exposed to heat a bit.

The connect covers do not secure very well in the PSU and can fall out but it is not a huge deal.

The cables are all top notch and the most secure molex I have ever seen

Dr_John said:
I would also consider a 1-year warranty on a $100 PS definitely a "con."
Thanks, I definately overlooked the warranty this time. I've added that to the cons list on the review.

DemisE: have you tried using your mouse scroller yet? For me and a couple others, theres is a sqeaking sound coming from the PSU when you use the scroller. It is audible and it's the type of quiet that's more annoying than a blantantly obvious noise ;)

Pixeleet said:
Thanks, I definately overlooked the warranty this time. I've added that to the cons list on the review.

DemisE: have you tried using your mouse scroller yet? For me and a couple others, theres is a sqeaking sound coming from the PSU when you use the scroller. It is audible and it's the type of quiet that's more annoying than a blantantly obvious noise ;)

what in the world would cause this? i find it odd that something that really doesnt have much to do with the PS itself would cause it to make noise. i am receiving this PS soon and have the same mouse, so i will definitely keep an ear open for it.

Pixeleet said:

I use my scroll wheel all the time and never hear anything

My friend bought one of those Ultra X-Connect PSU's against my warning and its not holding up to his watercooling, FX-53, and 6800U.

The PSU is pretty to look at but i'm betting its components are of a lesser quality compared to other top brands like Antec, Enermax, Fortron, OCZ, Thermtaltake, and PCP&C.

those xconnects would be the perfect edition to any modding project that you want to do. i admit..it would be better to mod ur own psu. but for 100 bucks, and a look like that...its worth it..sure the cables might be a tad hard to bend, but its nothing a hairdryer, or a heatgun cant deal with. i dont have one yet, but i plan on picking one of em up in the future with my next amateur modding project. seems worth the money to me

Back