Unable to install Windows 11 despite confirmation I meet requirements

HockeyJon

2[H]4U
Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. I'm running a Ryzen 3700X on an Asus Prime Pro X470 with the latest BIOS version. Both TPM and secure boot are enabled, and Asus specifically states on their website that this BIOS will meet the requirements for Windows 11 and enable installation. As an extra check, I ran Microsoft's PC Health Check app and confirmed with their published checklist than I have everything in place to install Windows 11. Fun fact, it doesn't allow me to do so. I am trying to to a clean install VIA bootable USB key but I get blocked after entering my Windows key with a message saying that this PC does not support Windows 11 and I'm prevented from proceeding. As far as I'm concerned, this has set a new low bar for software, even by Microsoft's standards.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and, if so, did you manage to find a way to get past the log jam?

Thanks!

Check if Compatibility mode is on in the BIOS, might be called CSM. I had someone recently that Windows 11 didn't want to upgrade because that was enabled, and I think also their disk setup was MBR mode which the installer also took issue with.

check for the csm ^^^ and make sure the tpm is set to the "ftpm" i think its called. also try without your key.

Looks like that worked, thanks a lot guys! Microsoft has really made this launch unnecessarily difficult if you want my opinion.

Question 2 is would I need to just keep CSM disabled going forward? Any negative repercussions or it doesn’t really matter at this point?

Looks like that worked, thanks a lot guys! Microsoft has really made this launch unnecessarily difficult if you want my opinion.

Question 2 is would I need to just keep CSM disabled going forward? Any negative repercussions or it doesn’t really matter at this point?
iirc, its part of the legacy stuff and stays off now.

Earlier I upgraded my bios, made sure I had TPM, etc.

Earlier today I also tried to install Windows 11, it downloaded, got to 100%, reboot to reinstall.

Reboot started, quickly gave me a BSOD "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE" error, HARD shut down, LEDS all off, no power to anything - i'm talking had to turn the PSU switch off and back on to get anything to happen. Checked all the wires, rebooted again, got a "reverting back to previous usable windows installation" method and that lasted maybe 2 minutes and now its back to windows 10 exactly as it was before i tried windows 11.

Not gonna attempt that again for a while.

Last edited:
I also tried to install Windows 11, it downloaded, got to 100%, reboot to reinstall.

Reboot started, quickly gave me a BSOD "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE" error, HARD shut down, LEDS all off, no power to anything - i'm talking had to turn the PSU switch off and back on to get anything to happen. Checked all the wires,rebooted again, got a "reverting back to previous usable windows installation" method and that lasted maybe 2 minutes and now its back to windows 10 exactly as it was before i tried windows 11.
you probably need to convert to gpt first.

My boot drive is a SN850, its definitely GPT.

1637100004941.png

I have 12 hard drives and over 20+ partitions, so i'm guessing something just got weird with the bootloader but I don't care enough to figure out what. It fixed itself so quickly that I don't want to really attempt to try again until maybe a few more Win11 updates or something happen.

Windows 11 installed flawlessly on my laptop with its 2 drives though.

On the update screen it just said "Windows is having trouble installing windows 11, you can try again if you want."
So I just clicked "I'll stay on 10 for now."

I have 12 hard drives and over 20+ partitions

I had something like that going on in my main rig at one point. Moving all my storage drives over to a dedicated file server was one of the best changes I've made. My computer is not burdened with unintended side-effects from all the drives (like boot loader issues, or random freezing if one drive starts to develop bad blocks), and the data on the drives is also safer because the drives are not experiencing unintended reboots when I try to push the overclock on my main rig, etc.

Back