Uncompressed Blu-ray help

irishBoiler

Weaksauce
So I started backing up my Blu-rays to my server, but I'm having some video quality issues. I really didn't think that I (or anyone) would notice the compression artifacts, but I see it easily. I noticed it's compressing the main video a little and I don't want that. Are there any ideas on how I can get the main video ripped out uncompressed and wrapped in an mkv container? Ending file size really doesn't matter, I just need it to look as good as the original.

Tron - Legacy is the example. I'm specifically comparing the scene where he's getting into the Encom building for the prank by going through the loading bay and the giant vault-like door. The door and his face look wrong.

Current process: I do anydvd hd with ripbot to make the highest quality I can pick. The video ended up being 6.1GB.

Also tried: Anydvd hd to ISO format. Size was around 42GB. Looks exactly the same as the blu-ray. No issues.

MakeMKV will do what you want. It is also free (for now). You will probably have to disable any anyDVD for it to work correctly.

MakeMKV. AnyDVDHD does it too, but you get the full menus and extras. MakeMKV lets you strip just the movie and soundtracks you want.

You want to use MakeMKV. It will let you take off all the junk you don't need but not touch the original file as far as quality. I use it to put all my blu-rays on my server for my theater. I just keep the video file and the HD audio track. I have it setup now where it will bitstream it all to my reciver and let it decode the stream. Works great. I have a walk though I found if you need, on how to setup the bitreaming over HDMI. Lets you take most 50gig blu-rays down to 25-32gigs.

Why do you need it to be .mkv? What is wrong with leaving it in the M2TS? Every player I've used could read and play .mt2s just as well as .mkv.

VLC, Media Player Classic HC, XBMC, Boxee, PS3 media server, etc, can all play the BluRay .m2ts just fine.

Is there a reason for mt2s? Does it offer anything that mkv doesn't? Everything else I have is mkv so I'm trying to keep it the same.

Personally I use AnyDVDHD and make an ISO of the enitre blueray. ~200 movies to date and 7GB of storage. I prefer to leave the backups untouched, with all the encryption intact. Then when I need to make a rip to stream to my PS3, or for the ipad/itouch I have an perfect master copy to work with.

I normally use ClownBD, but I've heard good things about MakeMKV as well. I do recall there being a limitation with MakeMKV in regards to streaming certain types of audio, but can't recall the specific details.

You want to use MakeMKV. It will let you take off all the junk you don't need but not touch the original file as far as quality. I use it to put all my blu-rays on my server for my theater. I just keep the video file and the HD audio track. I have it setup now where it will bitstream it all to my reciver and let it decode the stream. Works great. I have a walk though I found if you need, on how to setup the bitreaming over HDMI. Lets you take most 50gig blu-rays down to 25-32gigs.

ill take the walk thru. :)

Is there a reason for mt2s? Does it offer anything that mkv doesn't? Everything else I have is mkv so I'm trying to keep it the same.

.m2ts is actually more standard and more used than .mkv (outside of the pirate scene). All BluRays and most digital video cameras use .m2ts. Most professional video software like Adobe premiere have better support for .m2ts than .mkv.

The reason to use .m2ts would be that that's what container BluRay already uses so you wouldn't have to spend any time or effort to move the video and audio into another container like .mkv

So ripping the movie is as simple as opening the STREAM folder on the BluRay disk and copying the large .m2ts file to your hard drive and then renaming it to you liking. You can even open the .m2ts container and delete alternate audio tracks if you like.

You will then have the full BluRay on your hard drive and as I was saying, .m2ts plays in any player I've used before so there would be no reason to have to spend time and effort moving the video and audio streams into a new .mkv container.

The question should be "does .mkv offer anything over .m2ts". For me, the answer is no, but for some people is could be yes in a rare player that could play .mkv but not m2ts.

Last edited:
.m2ts is actually more standard and more used than .mkv (outside of the pirate scene). All BluRays and most digital video cameras use .m2ts. Most professional video software like Adobe premiere have better support for .m2ts than .mkv.

The reason to use .m2ts would be that that's what container BluRay already uses so you wouldn't have to spend any time or effort to move the video and audio into another container like .mkv

So ripping the movie is as simple as opening the STREAM folder on the BluRay disk and copying the large .m2ts file to your hard drive and then renaming it to you liking. You can even open the .m2ts container and delete alternate audio tracks if you like.

You will then have the full BluRay on your hard drive and as I was saying, .m2ts plays in any player I've used before so there would be no reason to have to spend time and effort moving the video and audio streams into a new .mkv container.

The question should be "does .mkv offer anything over .m2ts". For me, the answer is no, but for some people is could be yes in a rare player that could play .mkv but not m2ts.

There's a good reason to avoid this. A lot of new movies coming out, especially ones that are 'Extended Cut' or 'Director's Cut' use several .m2ts to make up the main movie. so dropping the largest .m2ts file from the 'Stream' folder is not necessarily going to give the right 'Cut' or for that matter the whole movie.
You're better off using MakeMKV or similar software to rip and store the main movie with the whatever audio options you choose to go with.

Except that you are wrong....a product like MakeMKV does all of the hard work for you, but making it easy to see what is what, pick what you want in the container while giving you a bit perfect copy (which removes copy protection and takes essentially the same amount of time to transfer from optical media to HDD). None of this opening a folder and searching through a long list of inscrutable files to find what you want.

Last edited:
Yea the Movie Rango has a Bunch of M2ts files in it and I mean a buch. Makemkv is the best way of doing thing's.

what ts supports is a subset of what mkv supports.

mkv supports a ton more stuff.

The one exception to this is truehd + ac3 combo tracks, which aren't supported in mkv, but work in ts.

I understand what you guys are saying but I was just offering up the way I do it.

I have reasons I do it my way and I think it works out pretty great. I did oversimplify my explanation earlier and I have run into a movie or 2 myself that had split m2ts files but I just used NeroVision 8 which is able to merge the .m2ts files easily.

I know mkv is a "better" container in that it supports more formats but the OP and I were talking about ripping BluRays and anything found on a BluRay will of course work just fine in a .mt2s so the extended container support for mkv is really a moot point when talking exclusively about BluRays.

I stick with .m2ts because I like to play movies through my PS3 across the network and the PS3 doesn't support mkv. .m2ts seems to have more universal support. I've never seen a device that could play mkv and couldn't play .m2ts, but I have seen devices that could play m2ts and couldn't play mkv. Never had a problem with .m2ts so I have no reason to stop using it. I was just sharing another option.

Also, I don't want to use a program like PS3 media server to remux mkv to m2ts for my PS3 because I stream my movies directly from my NAS which can't run PS3 media server.

Back