Under $1000 build - WHS2011 or Win 7

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Disappointed with WHS2011 not having DE, I am going back and forth between building a server using WHS 2011 or Win 7. I currently have a WHS v1 but I am getting low on space. I only use it to backup my PCs and store my videos. I only use it locally and have no real need for remote access.

My thinking is I can either build the WHS2011 and use it for backups which will free up some space for now on the WHS V1 or I can build a Win 7 PC and use it as a file server. I would still like to backup my videos though even if I just use Win 7 backup to copy the drive contents onto additional drives in the same PC.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I would say around $1000 though it isn't strict. I plan to add drives as I need.

3) Where do you live?
Florida so no local Fry's or Microcenter

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Powersupply, Motherboard, CPU prefer Intel, memory, harddrives, keyboard, mouse, cheap monitor, maybe network card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
none that I can think of though I might be able to dig up an old video card if I don't get a motherboard with onboard video.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not planning to since it will mainly be a file server

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Something small and cheap since most access will be done remotely over my home network.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
next month or so

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
The more sata ports the better for future storage and if I can go with onboard video it would be nice. RAID might be something I should look at for either setup but I have never had a RAID setup or messed with one so I don't know if I want to go down that path.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes I have 64 bit Win 7 ultimate or WHS2011.

They are both the same OS underneath. With WHS 2011 you'll get the automated pc backups, but the file serving performance should be same for both of them.

Well here's the deal: Gonna need you to figure out if RAID is an option or not as it's gonna dictate your hardware choices (Specifically the hardware RAID controller and the hard drives).

With that said, a non-Windows RAID option would be:

$120 - Intel Core i3-540 CPU
$270 - Supermicro X8SI6-F
$53 - Kingston 2 x 2GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 RAM
$320 - 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU
$75 - Xigmatek Utgard Window CPC-T90DB-U02 ATX Case
$20 - 2 x Coolermaster 621013210-GP 4in3 Device Module
----
Total: $948 plus tax and shipping

Notes:
- That motherboard is well worth the price. I highly recommend that you read this review:
http://www.servethehome.com/supermi...ew-including-onboard-lsi-sas-2008-controller/

- That case + Device modules will fit up to 12 hard drives.

Back