Under $1000 for Photo Editing

vidoprof

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a monitor (preferrably 22" or bigger) that will give me the best picture and extras for under $1000 including shipping, tax and everything.

I was looking at the LG 246wpbn, Dell 2407-HC ($778 shipped with 5yr warranty) and any other suggestions.

Looking to buy in the next month or so. BTW I DO NOT GAME AT ALL

Thanks

RYan

Jeez that Dell looked mighty appetizing to me.. until I realised it didn't have HDCP. What's up with that?!

I don't need to watch DVD's on it at all, so it's more of a Photo Editing display for me. I just want the best one I can get for that price.

I was even leaning the 2707 way, but then I realized that it's just more and more and more, so I cut the price at $1000 including everything.

Any thoughts guys?

Ryan

If you're looking at strictly photo editing, dell is the last place you want to look:(

Photo editing monitors are either NEC, LaCie or Eizo, but they will run you more than 1G, more like 1600US minimum.

Unless dell has come up with something to match those 3, no other brands should be considered for strictly photo editing.

The LG 245/246 is super nice. I use it for photo editing (professional, yeah yeah buy Eizo) but it is lovely and calibrates perfectly with the right tools.

I have one and no problems. I am selling one as well for $550 if you are interested.

I might be interested in it if I can figure out if that is the monitor that I want. Any dead pixels? Guarenteed DOA?

Anyone else have any recommendations. It doesn't have to be PERFECT, just good enough.

Is the Dell 2407-HC not as good? What about the 2707?

Thanks
Ryan

I might be interested in it if I can figure out if that is the monitor that I want. Any dead pixels? Guarenteed DOA?

Anyone else have any recommendations. It doesn't have to be PERFECT, just good enough.

Is the Dell 2407-HC not as good? What about the 2707?

Thanks
Ryan

the problem is dell is not synonymous with color accuracy and some have banding issues but that might have been fixed by now.

They do good for the average joe who isnt into color critical work needed for printing and accurate color editing.

If it is your job you need it for, the the ones i listed are the way too go. If not and you're looking for something that will be 'good enough' to watch movies and do light photo editing then i would suggest the benq that i have in my sig.
its good enough for light editing and like you, i'm nuts about color accuracy. Its an M-PVA panel and has good color reproduction.
My HP CRT is still my main editing display though until it dies.:D

The Planar 24” wide screen would be a serious contender for you. It has an ISP panel. The only thing you would need to do is calibrate it.

The S-IPS version Dell 2007fpw and the 3007fpw are the only Dell monitors I would consider for color critical work. Their other panels have poor color uniformity due to viewing angle problems. The Planar 26" is another good S-IPS. I'm not sure if their 24" panel is S-IPS. Are you sure about that, Rembrandt?

With the Planar....

Is the stand height adjustible? Does it have the IPS panel for sure? Do I buy it directly from them online for the cheapest price?

Thanks
Ryan

I do not believe that the Planar 24 inch is an S-IPS panel. The 26 inch Planar product is an H-IPS panel. It really does not matter where you buy it as long as it is an authorized reseller. It seems as if alot of people are having problems understanding the technical features of the Planar units. Maybe a call to Planar in Oregon can answer all your questions. My understanding from others is that the Planar office is poplulated by sales people who know little about the technical capabilities of these products. If the assumptions about the 26 inch Planar product discussed elsewhere in the forum pan out, this display would be worthy of your consideration given the price point you have mentioned.

Back