Unexpected Temperature Spike

steveak

Weaksauce
Had a bit of a startle this afternoon when I sat down at the desk to see that the Abit uGuru utility was in an alarm state due to a CPU temperature of 85C.

(I had been away from my desk for a while, and the machine was still running. Nothing going on, computerwise, just my email and browser applications were open. I was not running any other programs.)

Anyway, I shut down immediately. I did not think to open Core Temp to see how it compared to uGuru.

It's warm in my living room, maybe 80+ degrees (F, of course), but that's about it.

After dinner, and with a cooler house now, the computer temperatures are just what I'd expect.

No quick way to send screenshots, but here is what uGuru and Core Temp are saying as I write this:

uGuru:
  • CPU: 21C
  • System: 30C
  • PWM: 39C

Core Temp:
  • VID: 1.1375v
  • Tjunction: 100C
  • Core #0: 32C
  • Core #1: 31C

I built the machine in my sig last November. After some tweaking, it's at a stable 3.6 GHz overclock, with a 400 MHz clock and a 9x multiplier.

It's in a Silverstone TJ09 case with the following fans (which I checked to make sure are all working):
  • 1 in hard drive enclosure
  • 2 exhaust fans blowing out the top
  • 1 exhaust fan blowing out the rear
  • 1 CPU fan blowing across the CPU and aiming toward the rear exhaust
  • 1 internal built-in case fan blowing through the center of the case

After restarting this evening, I thought about reverting back to default settings and killing the OC during the heat of summer.

Would that be a good idea?

Any ideas what would have caused this sudden temp spike? Is this a one-time event that just happened for some unknown reason? Maybe a glitch with uGuru that lead to a faulty reading?

Am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Steve

Core processors throttle down and then shut off if they get to warm so I wouldn't worry about frying your CPU, that's hard to do unless you try.

Temperature apps can be flaky so one weird reading isn't much to go one. Run Prime 95 Small FFT to stress the CPU for about 15 minutes, use Real Temp as that seems to be about the best temperature app out now and see how that looks. If the the temps look good then you're fine.

Core processors throttle down and then shut off if they get to warm so I wouldn't worry about frying your CPU, that's hard to do unless you try.

I still wouldn't recommend running a rig that hits 85C on a regular basis.

Load temperatures are much more informative than idle temps, so fire up Prime95/Orthos and see how high it goes. Focus on the temperatures for the cores more than the "CPU" temp.

I concur, fire up prime or super pi something like that and stress the PC while keeping an eye on temps and see what happens. Sandra also has some PC stressing software.

It must have been just some kind of temporary malfunction.

Last night I stressed for 15 minutes as suggested. Both cores got to 58C and stayed there the entire time.

Right now, in a lovely cool room, both cores are in the mid 20s, just where I'd expect them to be.

Thanks for suggestions, and especially to download Real Temp, which looks like a good utility.

steve

I had this happen to me about a week and a half ago. I use the same motherboard but with an overclocked q6700

Back