Uninstalled Drivers --> Can't boot

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I'm having trouble with the system in my sig. I've been running the Cat 6.7 drivers with ATT and no CCC for awhile now and thought it'd be time to upgrade to 6.12. I uninstalled the old drivers through add/remove and rebooted. There was perfect video signal all the way through the windows load screen, but the monitor says No signal once it loads into Windows. I hooked it up to my TV and got the same error. Booting in safe mode yields the same thing.

Any ideas on how to fix this. I do have an onboard video, but no VGA cable at the moment.

When ever you can. Hook it on to your on board and then install the drivers for the ATI card then turn off and plug it back into the card.

I've seen that happen a few times on a machine with onboard video especially if the onboard isn't disables (or there is no way to disable it). It's like WinXP somehow reverts to using the onboard video as the only display device, so once the machine boots to the Windows desktop the second display device (in this case your ATI card) goes dead.

I would try the following:

A: Check in the BIOS for a toggle to disable/enable the onboard video. If it's set to enabled, change it to disabled.

B: If no BIOS option to toggle the onboard video, check your motherboard's manual to see if there is a jumper to enable / disable the onboard video.

C: Look in the BIOS for similar options to either disable the onboard video, or to set the primary display device. Usually the option to set the display device will have options like "Onboard" "AGP/PCIE" "PCI"

I booted into windows using after removing my video card and using the onboard. I then ran drivercleaner and rebooted again. This time, I was able to get into windows with my video card. I installed 6.12 and it worked fine. I usually run DC after the reboot, so I guess the uninstall left something behind that caused a conflict.

Back