Unknown issue with PC

Term-X

2[H]4U
So initially my crash dump files were pointing to my mouse being the culprit (I tried uninstalling the Habu software and using another mouse, btw, just to doubel check) but now my system isn't even producing crash dumps because it immediately freezes. It does not respond to anything but a forced reboot via the power button.

I am trying to do my best to find out what is causing it but I am honestly not sure. The crashes happen randomly, in 3D games or just while on the desktop, even at the Vista login screen. I ran memtest86+ and it went through fine. I then ran Windows Memory test or whatever it's called and the system actually froze while in that command line environment. So it's not a OS issue either it seems nor does it particular seem to be the memory. Temperatures seem fine all around, though I removed the overclocks on my CPU and GPU just to be sure. No dice. I checked all the connections to make sure everything was fitted correctly. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day, other times it happens like 10+ in a day.

I am maybe thinking it might be a power issue, Though, my computer is connected to a TrippLite OMNI1000 UPS so it should be getting clean power. Could it be possible that the PSU is starting to die out? It's an Antec 500W something or other from a year and a half ago.

If anybody has any other suggestions as to what I can do to track down the cause, I'd appreciate it. Just seems real odd since the computer has been working flawless since I built in '06.

Which specific Antec 500 watt power supply? (Antec makes several models, you know.)

Do you have a System Restore point you could revert back to?

Have you tried using the Windows OS disc to repair your installation?

Which specific Antec 500 watt power supply? (Antec makes several models, you know.)

Do you have a System Restore point you could revert back to?

Have you tried using the Windows OS disc to repair your installation?

Antec TruPower 2.0 I think. Dont have System Restore activated but I don't think it's a Vista problem since it happens outside of Vista.

Sorry, it's an Antec SmartPower 2.0, rather. Anyway, my computer had continued to crash but moreso, it's crashing on boot. I don't know how I managed to get to Windows.

Here is some more methods/symptoms I have gone through:

- Disconnected a few HDDs to see if the PSU is somehow unable to cope with the load. Did not affect the issue

- I noticed that my UPS sometimes switches to battery mode when flicking the PSU switch back on in the rear. Something that I have not remembered it ever doing before.

- During boot, sometimes it would stall after initializing USB controllers (meaning the HDDs weren't detected).

- Attempted to power computer without UPS, still the same symptoms.

I am honestly confused more now than before. I don't know if it's my PSU, or maybe my processor croaking or the motherboard. Or perhaps even my power lines (it fluctuates between 114-121v sometimes according to my UPS). I can't afford to buy all 3 components right now but maybe one of them, so I am looking to find out specifically which component is the issue.

The TruePower 2.0 and SmartPower 2.0 power supplies have a history of failing at random times. I suggest that you get a new power supply ASAP. (Consider, for example, the Corsair VX550.) Right now, the power supply is the most vital concern because if it breaks down, it has the potential to damage every other component in your system.

Get the power supply first, and then test everything to determine the full extent of the damage.

Yea I'm leaning towards that option. Now, I don't know if it's the PSU causing it but my UPS is reading line voltage pretty low... around 113v-115v.

That's not good either. How long have you had your UPS for? (How much would it cost to replace the battery?)

Back