Unknown lan connection?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey. At my parents place, they have a wrt150n wireless router. Every now and then I check the dhcp client list to see who's connected and I've noticed there's a name I haven't seen before in the list. Now first off, no, there is no WEP or any kind of encryption on the wireless so I already know that's asking for trouble. But they're dead-set against setting it up because it made problems for them in the past.
Anyway, the weird thing is that this unknown connection is via LAN (at least according to the client list), but there are only two computers plugged directly into the router. I can't find this person in the network neighborhood on either vista or xp and can't connect by going to run and typing \\computername. I know that occasionally, a wireless connection will read LAN when it's connected wirelessly so I'm assuming it's also possible this unknown computer can be connected to our wireless.
In short, if there's an unknown connection on my dhcp list that I can't access, is there anyway to tell if it's a squatter or just some weird lan glitch? Haven't noticed a network slowdown or anything, just curious.

can you ping the IP address it receives?
ping -a ip to resolve to a hostname?

I just tried ping -a 192.168.1.107 and i get destination host unreachable.

I tried other computers on my network and they could be pinged successfully.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link. It says it's from Askey Computer Corp, but I don't think we have anything made by that company. It seems like they do make some wireless product. But still can't figure out where it's comin from. There's a unique name attributed with it, so it's not some random alphanumeric name.

If you're concerned, just add a MAC filter to the router and see what fails. Best-case you stop someone leeching the WiFi, worse case you reverse the filter.

how about the MAC address on the dsl/cable modem? does it match, by chance?

otherwise, sounds like a neighbor or somebody else leeching

how about the MAC address on the dsl/cable modem? does it match, by chance?g

That right there is a very good possibility... a modem probably wouldn't respond to pings, and it being wired fits. OP, have you tried connecting to the IP with a web browser and seeing what happens?

Hey guys, thanks for the help. It doesn't match the cable modem's mac, just checked. The name of the computer was prigge and seemed more like a user name than a random manufacture name or something.

I had put it on the mac ban list, but it's only for wireless. If it comes up again as lan, then something weird's goin on. If I see it back on, i'll try connecting via a browser or something. I had tried doing \\prigge, but that didn't work.

Back