Unknown System Instability

Maxtr0sity

Limp Gawd
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.2Ghz
Crucial Ballistix 4GB
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
ATI Sapphire 1950Pro

Recently I noticed my computer has been restarting itself randomly. It has always been stable and since the first time I OC'ed, I've ran Orthos for 8hr+ without issues. I start orthos and what do you know, within the first minute, error occurs. Back to the BIOS, I turn off OC and try again with default everything. Orthos fails again.

Must be RAM right? I remove two sticks of RAM (down to 2GB) and run Memtest on it, passes for 5 cycles straight. Boot back into Windows, Orthos fails. So this comes down to the motherboard or CPU. 3.2Ghz for a 6750 is considered modest. My voltage was set at 1.45 and temps never went above 60C under load. I really don't think the CPU would fail under these conditions. I don't have another machine to test out the CPU or motherboard unfortunately, what else can I do?

blend test or small FFTs?
Remove the OC completely, then run small FFTs. Report results.

Blend is the one that fails.

Small FFT is running for a minute now without any errors. As soon as I switch over to blend it crashes.

Edit: I ran Intel Burn Test, it passes after 5 cycles on maximum stress.

blend is using your RAM. Test each stick individually w/ memtest overnight.

I just alternated all four sticks of my ram. One (1GB) at a time. Each time, Orthos fails.

So after checking the error log, the error in Orthos actually says: "Cannot initiate FFT code". Deleted the program folder and downloaded another copy. Same results. Odd.

Yet each stick passes memtest? odd. ... thinking...

RAM timings at AUTO?
What's your DRAM voltage set to?
Do you have any 1.8v sticks you could try?

I installed XP on an old drive laying around and ran Orthos on blend overnight. 8hr+ pass so far. Leads me to think this is an OS issue. Looks like I have to format.

The RAM is 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix, they're rated to run at 2.1V I believe but so far 2.0V has worked since I don't tighten the timings down. The timings are manually set at 5-5-5-18, for some reason, with 4 sticks, I can't tighten it down to 4-4-4-12. Outside of these four values, all are set to auto.

To tighten them down to 4, they'll need more voltage, since you're running 4 sticks. You'll also probably need an MCH voltage bump, along with the vDIMM bump.

Back