unlocking barton 2500+ - wire method

antiflux

n00b
howdy, im new here if you cannot tell :p. anyways i bought quake 4 and im itching to get some more FPS so i decided to overclock this computer. i have dabbled a bit before a few years ago with overclocking using the good ol' pencil trick on my old athlon, which was easy enough; and i feel i have sufficient cooling. however times have changed and so have the methods and i am finding myself left in the dark :confused:

SO

which mod should i use?

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/amd/unlocktbred/unlocktbredp1.htm

or this one

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

i came up with this when i used the guide above, can someone confirm if it is correct please?

6882.jpg

i would just like to unlock the multipliers, since i can mess with vcore and fsb in the bios.

THANK YOU!

yeah u can just step up the FSB.. or multiplier if u wish...

that is if your motherboard doesnt lock out those kind of options

there are 2 types of locks founds on the barton, 1 of them which the nforce2 chipset is able to bypass and the 2nd which is super locked. the super locked bartons cant be unlocked (week 39 and later)

what motherboard do you have?

i ran memory at 4:5 and put fsb up to 200 on my barton2500+ to get 3200+ speeds.... the speed plus fsb really brought performance up... stock cooler too, if i had pc3200 instead of pc2700 ram in there i would just run it at 1:1, though if i'd unlock the multi i'd probably be running way higher :D and get a better heatsink hehe

thanks for all the replies guys. i blew my PSU last night overclocking :eek: so i went out and bought a 500w thermaltake one today. i have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x) motherboard with the nForce2 chipset.

how can i tell if my barton is after week 39? do i have to take the cpu out or can i use a program such as CPU z to identify it in the code?

i have infinion pc3200 ram would it be safe to run my computer at 200mhz fsb with 1:1 ratio?

antiflux said:
thanks for all the replies guys. i blew my PSU last night overclocking :eek: so i went out and bought a 500w thermaltake one today. i have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x) motherboard with the nForce2 chipset.

how can i tell if my barton is after week 39? do i have to take the cpu out or can i use a program such as CPU z to identify it in the code?

i have infinion pc3200 ram would it be safe to run my computer at 200mhz fsb with 1:1 ratio?

did your psu blew up spectacularly ? :eek:

the only way to check your week would be to take the heatsink off :(

as for the infinion pc3200 ram it should be able to run with a 1:1 fsb ratio of 200mhz

cool, thanks. it wasnt all that spectacular, since i acted very quickly to pull the plug from the wall socket. although there was briefly a lot of smoke some fireworks and some crackling noises. i suppose that is what i get for using a shotty no name PSU.

i think its my video card (geforce 3 ti500) holding my computer back. my computer just reboots itself at 200mhz, 190mhz is unstable, but 185mhz is super stable.

just one last question; is it possible to use the wire method on the 'super locked' bartons to unlock the lower multipliers? i would like to try 12x185

antiflux said:
cool, thanks. it wasnt all that spectacular, since i acted very quickly to pull the plug from the wall socket. although there was briefly a lot of smoke some fireworks and some crackling noises. i suppose that is what i get for using a shotty no name PSU.

i think its my video card (geforce 3 ti500) holding my computer back. my computer just reboots itself at 200mhz, 190mhz is unstable, but 185mhz is super stable.

just one last question; is it possible to use the wire method on the 'super locked' bartons to unlock the lower multipliers? i would like to try 12x185

the wire mothod wont be able to unlock any multipliers for you if you do indeed have a super locked barton. as for not being able to achieve 200mhz 1:1 i would check your ram timings. you may have to further relax them a bit as the agp/pci bus are locked so its unlikely your video card is holding you back.

Back