Unreal Engine 3: Samaritan Demo

Definitely a leap forward for UE3. I was more impressed with how CryEngine 3 handles lighting however in their cinema demo or whatnot. The bottom line is that no matter which platform it is I can't wait until we have games on shelves that actually look like this.

A game engine is in no way comparable to an engine designed to make movies. Cryengine 3 isn't impressive (unless render times are extremely low) , mental ray is impressive and that's been out for years.

Indeed :confused: Anyway, RAGE looks pretty decent. Haven't seen much of it running on PC though.

while rage looks decent it's no crysis and games contempary to doom3 and others looked much better.

while rage looks decent it's no crysis and games contempary to doom3 and others looked much better.

Meh. The Dark engine was technically superior to Valve's original Source engine in some ways (real texture mapping, dynamic lighting, realistic shadows). Half-life 2 had better character detail and animation (higher polygon counts), and better implementation of physics. I won't disagree that Doom 3 ended up being a pretty ugly game, but I think that's more a result of poor design rather than technical limitations of the Dark engine.

There are some awesome mods like the Dark Mod (a total conversion stealth game based on the Thief series) which really show off the full potential of the Dark Engine.

If game play were anything like that of UT3 with all the awesome 3D eye candy this engine is going to make games extreme hits.

I hope we see Unreal Tournament 4 soon.

If game play were anything like that of UT3 with all the awesome 3D eye candy this engine is going to make games extreme hits.

I hope we see Unreal Tournament 4 soon.

I thought UT3 was a flop? I just recently got it, and servers are a ghost town.

I thought UT3 was a flop? I just recently got it, and servers are a ghost town.

The whole Unreal Tournament series kicks ass. I find competitive players every day on a number of servers.
My favorite game.

Its sad that console's hold back the progression of our graphic engines... In a way.

I'm a little confused on the excitement over a pre-rendered movie. Quickest way to be disapointed in a game is to judge it based on them.

I always loved the look of UE3 graphics. High quality textures, lighting, particles, everything... smooth and realistic in appearance. Wow, impressive. Historically, Unreal Engine has been one of the most heavily optimized, efficient graphics engines available.

Also, if you check the wikipedia page list of UE3's users, you can see that UE3 has actually been licensed for CG animation, in addition to all the gaming users.

Oh, and another UT? Yes, please.

Wow, that could use just a touch more lensflare....seriously, it was annoying as heck. I've never understood showing lens flare in an FPS.

Also, if you check the wikipedia page list of UE3's users, you can see that UE3 has actually been licensed for CG animation, in addition to all the gaming users.

Oh, and another UT? Yes, please.

More like another Unreal game!

I'm a little confused on the excitement over a pre-rendered movie. Quickest way to be disapointed in a game is to judge it based on them.

My understanding of the video was that it was done by "real time rendering". It's not pre-rendered in any sense of the word. This is no cut-scene that is simply being played back; no, in fact, this is being displayed in real time, by the real graphics engine.

If it was a pre-recorded video, why would it need triple-SLI 580GTX? Or perhaps, you would claim that the triple 580 GTX was used to produce the video... but why would someone use so much hardware for something that you would simply release when done? (i.e., if pre-rendered, there's no time constraint for publishing, so render speed doesn't matter).

Answer? It's using the speculated 3x 580 GTX because it is using them in real time... not because it is poorly optimized, but because the textures, lighting, anti-aliasing, etc settings are THAT GOOD, and that shows in the video.

Thought it looked sick. Only thing that bugged me was the water streaming reflections.

Well it is the Unreal engine, hope you all liked it. Since, if past Unreal engine use is any indicator, a shit ton of games will end up using it.

Looks good. I've always loved the Unreal Engines, look great when they come out, and the games and mods that spring off of them are always a treat. Glad to have a new generation.

Sweet, for a second I thought I was watching the trailer for Blade Runner 2: Deckard Strikes Back...

The original and first Unreal SP is one of my favorite games of all time. Wish we could get a new SP Unreal game. Man that game was awesome at the time.

"The demo ran on a PC with an Intel Core i9 microprocessor with three Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX graphics cards connected through SLI technology. The demo took about three months for 12 programmers and artists to build."

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/08/e...-graphics-for-next-generation-consoles-video/

The core i9 is a typo..

Get some EA, Blizzard or MS investment dollars and start building games I say!

:cool:

Ether way the demo is badass!.

Can this be downloaded in 1920*1200/1080? Crytek says their CRYENGINE3 is better. Guess we will see in 2 weeks when CRYSIS 2 comes out.

Can this be downloaded in 1920*1200/1080? Crytek says their CRYENGINE3 is better. Guess we will see in 2 weeks when CRYSIS 2 comes out.

Actually you won´t, since we are only going to see DX9 with Crysis 2 at launch...

Anyone remember the engine used for Severance: Blade of Darkness? For its time, it had the most realistic and mood setting lighting and shadows seen in a game....everything cast a shadow. Throw a stool and all four legs cast shadows as it moved. Took a herculean PC to run it at max settings though. Ah, the good ol days.

wait was this trailer rendered using 3 gtx 580s to render the movie or did it take 3 gtx 580s to just run the movie? my point is that if it were a pre-rendered movie then a nettop with decent gpu acceleration could run the prerendered film at 1080p no problem. the fact that it took 3 gtx 580s makes it sound like it was more gameplay footage or at least a gameplay cutscene otherwise why the use of three uber cards just to run it?

wait was this trailer rendered using 3 gtx 580s to render the movie or did it take 3 gtx 580s to just run the movie? my point is that if it were a pre-rendered movie then a nettop with decent gpu acceleration could run the prerendered film at 1080p no problem. the fact that it took 3 gtx 580s makes it sound like it was more gameplay footage or at least a gameplay cutscene otherwise why the use of three uber cards just to run it?

They were saying it took 3 gtx 580s to render this in real time, as in it's gameplay if it was actually a game.

Back