Unsure of how to illuminate this switch...

WarMace

Gawd
I have this switch

pRS1C-2160437w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...productId=2062528&support=support&tab=summary

and want to use it to control my case lights. But it does not state the rating on the LED or whatever is inside.

Currently the old switch on my lights just opens and closes on the 12v into the case lights.

the symbol on the middle pole confuses me, it looks like a Transistor symbol with 3 bars in the middle.

Edit; maby not. i don't know what it means, its not on any circuitry symbol lists.

Well, assuming that it is a 2-position switch then the positive should connect to the middle and the Power(+) is the lead that is controlled by the switch. The ground is needed for the light inside.

I'm not sure how you plan to illuminate this other than the light that is inside. I guess you will have to take it apart to find out what the light source is and what may need to be replaced. Not sure if you have the time before tomorrow but that is as best as I can do.

From the site op links to:

12V Lighted Toggle Switch

Enough switches to make you flip!
Get things started with this lighted 12V toggle switch. Rated 20 amps at 12VDC.

What's in the box

* 1 x 20A 12VDC lighted flip switch

So the led or whatever light source is inside is expecting to get 12Vdc.

I would have to agree with wilsonman's wiring description; power is the 12Vdc source, the symbol that looks something like a light in the middle is the switched 12Vdc out from the switch, and the ground is needed for the internal lightsource to illuminate.

It will work as an unlighted SPST switch if you don't connect the ground.

I doubt its a led inside because it still lights up the light inside the switch if i reverse the polarity.

OK, i will try hooking up my case lights to the top 2 spades, and if it gets the lights to work, ill throw on a wire from the ground spade straight to the PSU ground.

OK, you guys rock! That worked.

The wiering to the switch is ...

• +12
  • to case lights
  • ground

Now the switch operates perfectially, it lights when in the on position. :)

OK, you guys rock! That worked.

The wiring to the switch is ...

• +12
  • to case lights
  • ground
That's what's showing printed on the switch ;) - 'ACC' is the connection to the 'Accessory' in the case of auto switches.

Oh, i was hunting forever in circuitry manuals trying to look that up.

Back