Unsure what to buy for new build- 7800x3D or 7xxxx Microcenter bundle?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently have a [email protected] w/2080Ti and 4k/144Hz display. It’s time for a new build- I was going to go 7800x3D but the MS bundles are so affordable and I have to buy new everything (except Power Supply), so I’m not sure what to buy.

I don’t plant on upgrading my GPU right now (can’t really afford it and don’t want to pay the exorbitant prices for a new one). Would the MS 7700x bundle be a better choice for me as I’d save a lot more money or is it better to buy a 7800x? Most of my gaming on my 2080Ti is at 4k/144Hz and VRR even though I know it’s pushing it for the newest titles. Would the 7809x3D even matter for 4k gaming, especially with an older card like the 2080Ti?

If you’re on a budget the bundle is really good. You get everything for the price of the 3d chip. Not to mention, you can always swap the cpu out later with no issues if you want to upgrade it.

I think I’ll go for the 7700x bundle and grab whatever 8xxx3d part comes next. I’ll get a decent motherboard- I was looking at the

ASUS X670E-PLUS TUF GAMING WIFI​

I don’t really need the wifi but you can’t really find the non-wifi board anywhere. I have a 10G NIC I need to use with it anyways and it appears to have a 4x PCIe slot which is pretty interesting, most motherboards don’t have them anymore.

How are the lower end Asrock X670E boards? The X670E Lightning is like $80 cheaper than this ASUS board.

If you really want to upgrade now, go for the 7700x combo.
The cost savings can be used towards next upgrades (whether to zen5 or next gen gpu).

I think I’ll go for the 7700x bundle and grab whatever 8xxx3d part comes next. I’ll get a decent motherboard- I was looking at the

I don’t really need the wifi but you can’t really find the non-wifi board anywhere. I have a 10G NIC I need to use with it anyways and it appears to have a 4x PCIe slot which is pretty interesting, most motherboards don’t have them anymore.

How are the lower end Asrock X670E boards? The X670E Lightning is like $80 cheaper than this ASUS board.

I would stick to B650 honestly, the boot times on the 670 boards are atrocious and you really don't get much for the extra money. A couple more lanes off the chipset is about it. ASRock seems to be nailing it with this gen, I'm building a rig for my friend right now with the B650 PG Lightning and the 7800x3D and its really good.

If you really want that mobo now Amazon had a 7700x combo deal with it for about 600. Yeah it isn't microcenter price/value but it is better than nothing unless you wanted a different cpu

I picked up the 7700x bundle over the 7900x, cheaper and I plan on upgrading to the 88xxx3d, or whatever the next iteration of AM5’s x3D is. Hopefully I will have upgraded my GPU by then as well. Even after saving money with the bundle it still cost me close to $1k after the motherboard, new case, couple of extra fans and Noctua cooler. Far more than I expect to spend today.

I picked up the 7700x bundle over the 7900x, cheaper and I plan on upgrading to the 88xxx3d, or whatever the next iteration of AM5’s x3D is. Hopefully I will have upgraded my GPU by then as well. Even after saving money with the bundle it still cost me close to $1k after the motherboard, new case, couple of extra fans and Noctua cooler. Far more than I expect to spend today.
Wish I had a MC near me.

When I got home and was looking at the MC website I realized I made a mistake- The 7900x bundle (ASUS B650e-f w/free ram) was actually $100 cheaper than what I purchased- a 7900x w ASUS Tuf x670e motherboard. The salesperson glossed over this fact really fast and when I told her what I wanted she told me it was a lot cheaper than she thought. Unfortunately by the time I realized what happened I was already home. (Well over 2hrs of driving)

One thing I noticed about MC (Cambridge) is there is absolutely no way to contact anyone in the store- there is no phone number and the live chat on the website is disabled. The only way to talk to anyone is to go physically to the store- so back I went today to do the exchange. I’m kind of pissed- I did over 5hrs of driving in 2days so my savings in the end was a lot less than the $100 difference.

The thing about MC is to only use it for really good deals that you can’t find elsewhere- especially if you live over 30mins away, because if you ever have a problem the only way to resolve it is to go physically to the store. That’s terrible- I never encountered a retail operation that doesn’t let you contact anyone there- not even Best Buy is this bad.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ries-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-combo

Edit: Aaaand of course, as of today there is an even better 7700x bundle for ~$200 less than what I paid. Not going back.

Damnit- I also noticed they lowered the 7900x bundle to $471, so I have to drive back AGAIN to get refunded the difference. Already used almost a full tank of gas over 2 days driving back and forth.

Last edited:
lol, why not just live with the price you paid. You know whatever you pay today it will be cheaper the next day and the next and so on… tech is a depreciating asset. There is no winning with it. Unless there is a crypto craze then people lose their minds.

lol, why not just live with the price you paid. You know whatever you pay today it will be cheaper the next day and the next and so on… tech is a depreciating asset. There is no winning with it. Unless there is a crypto craze then people lose their minds.
Because there is a 30 day price protection guarantee and there’s close to a $100 price difference?

I’ll be nearby the end of May so I’ll stop in then.

Damnit- I also noticed they lowered the 7900x bundle to $471, so I have to drive back AGAIN to get refunded the difference. Already used almost a full tank of gas over 2 days driving back and forth.
Uh, probably wouldn't waste your gas/time. That was a quickly rectified pricing error. It went back to $550.

Because there is a 30 day price protection guarantee and there’s close to a $100 price difference?

I’ll be nearby the end of May so I’ll stop in then.
How much do you value your time? Also in my vehicle the difference wouldn’t be worth it after you factor in gas and a 4 hour round trip.

I have a MC about 2 hours away. I research what bundle I want, and I realize it may be cheaper at some point in the near future.

BUT almost always, I got it cheaper than any other retailer, even after gas.

My 7900x bundle with mobo and ram was at the time, more than a few hundred less than anything else that was available. In the end it’s tech, it will depreciate and usually fast.

How much do you value your time? Also in my vehicle the difference wouldn’t be worth it after you factor in gas and a 4 hour round trip.

I have a MC about 2 hours away. I research what bundle I want, and I realize it may be cheaper at some point in the near future.

BUT almost always, I got it cheaper than any other retailer, even after gas.

My 7900x bundle with mobo and ram was at the time, more than a few hundred less than anything else that was available. In the end it’s tech, it will depreciate and usually fast.
I returned to MC twice to get an unopened (though that doesn't matter with their policy) CPU price-adjusted within their holiday period. Got $50 off the first time and another $50 off the second time. Not worth it if going by private vehicle twice, but it was $5 for a two-way trip with public transit. So net $90 savings. Quite a bit extra time with public transit - decided to stop doing that lol. If it is not worth taking an Uber, not worth my time personally. Unfortunately it also makes me a little hesitant about getting things at MC as opposed to Amazon if available there for a good price, since MC requires adjustments in-store.

Back