Unusual SFF socket 478 mobo (no psu used + low profile)

IDversusEGO said:
I am a cheap power brick away from buying...must ersist the urge.. Trying to decide if this is worth the cold shoulder from the wife for a couple of days. I ahve dropped some serious coinage lately. New HTPC, new gaming video card, new headphones, Halo 2, wireless network, 200 blank DVD's,. I am in danger of getting an allowance soon.

Dude, all you have to do is get her something nice, and I don't mean flowers. Get her some of those "earthy hippie" earings made from that blue stone shit that hippie artists string together and sell out of the back of there cars or on Art School campuses, or maybe a necklace or something?. then your all set! :D

IDversusEGO said:
they sell those at radio shack and just about any electronics retailer. I just try to stay away from universal items. should work though.

It should, but I'm finding that two things are important here. The wattage of the power supply and getting the proper tip for it.

I won't order one till I see what kind of power hole it is. Once I get my hands on it I'll post pics for everyone.

But my thinking is that it won't be hard to find the right part for this. I doubt Chaintech manufactured a PSU just for this, they probably bought them wholesale from some Taiwanese shop, so they should be fairly generic.

but then I won't have money to get the Mobo. hmmm, maybe I just snag a necklace form my mom and give it to the wife. I just need to get my kid to get a damn job. She eats and sleeps here but doesn't contribute. For christs sake, she's 6, she can hold a shovel or sell flowers ont he corner. That's the problem with kids today, they have no motivation. A generation of freeloaders.

IDversusEGO said:
but then I won't have money to get the Mobo. hmmm, maybe I just snag a necklace form my mom and give it to the wife. I just need to get my kid to get a damn job. She eats and sleeps here but doesn't contribute. For christs sake, she's 6, she can hold a shovel or sell flowers ont he corner. That's the problem with kids today, they have no motivation. A generation of freeloaders.

omfg, lol

If that's what you're thinking, sell the wife and the 6 year old and buy gear!

IDversusEGO said:
LMAO you're killing me! i did have my first job when i was 11 years old though it was partial slavery since it was working for my dad...and he didn't give me much of a choice :(

CrimandEvil said:
What I had in mind was This!

It's a hardware encoder that can also encode into Divx and MPEG4. :D Best part is since it's a hardware encoder SageTV supports it as of 2.1. :D

Barring that I'd go with this: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html
The avermedia "video oh!" has a USB-hardware solution as well, though their software support might be sketchy, might be worth a look as compusa has them discounted every now and again

valve1138 said:
omfg, lol

If that's what you're thinking, sell the wife and the 6 year old and buy gear!

damn, the answer had been right here in front of my face. Would I have to pay income tax on that?

SJetski71 said:
LMAO you're killing me! i did have my first job when i was 11 years old though it was partial slavery since it was working for my dad...and he didn't give me much of a choice :(
LMAO, when I was that young my Uncle would take me to bars to pick up wormen. I worked as a chick magnet. :D

Taking a look at Sage's supported hardware, it says it supports the PCI version but not nothing about the USB version.

chaintech.jpg

chaintech2.jpg

Somebody have a P4 and power adapter they'd like to give me ??? :D

Something i just thought of. This combined with a decent laptop lcd panel would make a killer HTPC/DIY front-projector combo box, yes i mean both in the same box. Can you just imagine running fddshow right inside your own front projector?!

I got two of these mobo's sitting right next to me atm. If you have any questions go ahead and shoot. Sry for the ripped low quality pics, i'm currently camera-less

actually... a friend of mine is thinking of doing an el lappy... now i can tell him it's possible :D

starhawk said:
actually... a friend of mine is thinking of doing an el lappy... now i can tell him it's possible :D
These mobo's are rare and difficult to find normally. This is the first one i've ever seen up for sale (non ebay of course). Thats why i'm asking everyone to keep this deal quiet (including your friend! :D). It'll be toast if it gets posted at any other HT forum. Not good if we decide to purchase another later on ;).
(42 left in stock shuuuush!)

Sweet, mine should be in this week!

Four holes for the DC port eh? hmmmm.

I e-mailed Chaintech about where to buy a replacement and haven't gotten a reply yet.

valve1138 said:
Sweet, mine should be in this week!

Four holes for the DC port eh? hmmmm.

I e-mailed Chaintech about where to buy a replacement and haven't gotten a reply yet.
I nearly shat myself when i saw that universal adapter on sale for $29 at compgeeks tonite. Too bad the close-up pics show that it won't fit :(

I'm about to check out a bunch of electronic hobby shops online. A lot of times they carry weird shit you don't find anywhere else.

SJetski71 said:
I nearly shat myself when i saw that universal adapter on sale for $29 at compgeeks tonite. Too bad the close-up pics show that it won't fit :(

I'm about to check out a bunch of electronic hobby shops online. A lot of times they carry weird shit you don't find anywhere else.

Indeed. I have ONE! in my area I'll be checking out, they're a great bunch of guys. They'll order whatever you need and are happy to do it. I just hope it's not prohibitavely expensive to make this a worthwhile project.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice.. one ordered.. I figure it runs of DC so it could make a decent car pc.. if not i'll find a use

Finally! Apparently this is the same power supply used in these desknote models:

Sager D610S
Sager Pentium 4
Prostar 880A
AlienWare Area51m
Clevo

Here's a huge chart with many types listed. Now all we have to do is find a place that sells these or compatible for less $$$

Crim be sure to check your PM

I'm pretty sure that last bit on the motherboard is a mini PCI port but I can't really tell the other ones, I won't know for sure until I see one in person.

SJetski71 said:
Finally! Apparently this is the same power supply used in these desknote models:

Sager D610S
Sager Pentium 4
Prostar 880A
AlienWare Area51m
Clevo

Here's a huge chart with many types listed. Now all we have to do is find a place that sells these or compatible for less $$$

Crim be sure to check your PM

nice work!

Anyone else notice that the power plug is sort like a 12v line? I think it might be possible to build an adapter so that existing adapters like these can be used. I have seen those four style connectors before though. I'll look around but I have to look for some good CD-Rs first since I just ran out.

no. that connector will not fit. it is the type used for an old-style mac keyboard.

CrimandEvil said:

The ebay link said 19v 120w and 120w is a lot closer to what i would expect a system similar to that to draw.

That brings me to the next thing i just noticed.

The compgeeks bord and the one on x-bit labs appears to be a diffrent bord, or very diffrent revisions of the same bord

On the xbit labs site it shows it with the bottom off. The hdd plugs into power next to the cpu leaver. There is no such port on the compgeeks image. Instead there is a 4pin "floppy power" style header next to the ide port.

Seccondly, the x-bit labs picture only has 1 dimm slot.. now you are goign to say that the first one is just blocked in the photo, but it confirms this in writeing. The compgeeks version clearly has 2 dimm slots.

Next check out the location of the bios chip in refrence to the motherbord battery, also diffrent.

Frosty_axe said:
The ebay link said 19v 120w and 120w is a lot closer to what i would expect a system similar to that to draw.

That brings me to the next thing i just noticed.

The compgeeks bord and the one on x-bit labs appears to be a diffrent bord, or very diffrent revisions of the same bord

On the xbit labs site it shows it with the bottom off. The hdd plugs into power next to the cpu leaver. There is no such port on the compgeeks image. Instead there is a 4pin "floppy power" style header next to the ide port.

Seccondly, the x-bit labs picture only has 1 dimm slot.. now you are goign to say that the first one is just blocked in the photo, but it confirms this in writeing. The compgeeks version clearly has 2 dimm slots.

Next check out the location of the bios chip in refrence to the motherbord battery, also diffrent.
ya, im getting a hunch there may be a sis650 and sis 651 chipset floating around, Similar concepts but different implementation.

Somewhere out there there's a power guru laughing at us. He realizes its just a matter of splicing wires and supplying the right steady voltage. Easier said than done :(

tom61 said:
Linux-Hacker.net thread about this board, including alot of info on the power requirements.
Ahh, discovered by others, hehe. Thx for the killer link btw

SJetski71 said:
Somewhere out there there's a power guru laughing at us. He realizes its just a matter of splicing wires and supplying the right steady voltage. Easier said than done

Well, its not that hard to figure out.. we know its 20v, and thats the only voltage going in so some of the 4 pins MUST do the same thing. I'd wager that 2 are postitive, and the other 2 are negitive/ground. All you have to do is pull out the trusty multi-meter and do a contanuity ck from a known ground point on the mobo, to the headers. Figure out which pins are indeed ground and then hook em up to the ground side of your 20VDC supply. Hook the others up to your positive 20VDC supply and you are good to go.

/Edit
pulled from the linked thred for the lazy :p
1: The 4-pin power connector looks like the pins are shorted in pairs, both "top" (board side) pins are also connected to the shield, so these would be negative/ground (probably).

2: I don't even want to hope here, but on the "top" of the board, theres a blank for "SSW4 RESET" and a BUTTON labled "SW_PW" a power switch?!?!?! - makes sense, as theres no other ZIF that would work for it

It also says that since you are not useign the onbord LCD controller/inverter you can cut about 25w off your power requriement, meaning that mosts off the shelf 19/20V 90W supplys could be used with no problems

this board is a bear to figure out.

possible issues (for myself anyways)

-non standard power design
-non standard heatsink fastening holes
-heatsink needed for the northbridge
-nowhere to plug the on/off/reset switch that i can tell (i don't see a button anywhere either!) i'm sure i'm just "not seeing it" though.
-not even sure if theres an lcd controller or a place to plug in a laptop lcd (cant tell!)
-the box is a generic chaintec summit box, has a sticker labeled "9SLFO-U" hmm...

This thing seems to have a killer power setup onboard with all kinds of caps and coils, almost like it has a psu onboard.

Well I had sent off an email to Chaintech asking if it's possible to buy a replacement from them, got a response pretty quicky saying that I should ask the manufacture or I could buy one from them. Just sent off another email saying I bought it from a friend and they had lost the adapter, I'll see what happens next.

SJetski71 said:
this board is a bear to figure out.

possible issues (for myself anyways)

-non standard power design
-non standard heatsink fastening holes
-heatsink needed for the northbridge
-nowhere to plug the on/off/reset switch that i can tell (i don't see a button anywhere either!) i'm sure i'm just "not seeing it" though.
-not even sure if theres an lcd controller or a place to plug in a laptop lcd (cant tell!)
-the box is a generic chaintec summit box, has a sticker labeled "9SLFO-U" hmm...

This thing seems to have a killer power setup onboard with all kinds of caps and coils, almost like it has a psu onboard.

I just posted the power solution and the power/reset locations.. look at the BACK side of the bord..

The hfs is a problem. Maby a pair of brackets from a xeon? they are smaller then the p4's IIRC. I'll check that out when I get my bord. Ive got 2 retail xeon hfs/hold down sets in my basement.

Nortbridge? find a small old HS and get some thermal epoxy.. done...

CrimandEvil said:
Well I had sent off an email to Chaintech asking if it's possible to buy a replacement from them, got a response pretty quicky saying that I should ask the manufacture or I could buy one from them. Just sent off another email saying I bought it from a friend and they had lost the adapter, I'll see what happens next.
got the same email. The guy at the other forum claims chaintech tried to charge him $50 when he persisted...

Back