Up to $200 for a new video card.

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I am looking at upgrading my video card from a 9600XT 128 to something faster.
Looking at all the different cards is very confusing. I'll bo moving the 9600XT to my other PC since I don't need the Matrox System anymore (besides it is very slow, 1400 3D Marks in the 01 version vs 14,000 with my 9600XT).

The only games I really play are BF2, CS:Source, and HL2 sometimes.

thanks.

New from retailer or new to you :) ? You might be able to get a 6800GT used in the forums for around $200.

Agree on the 6800nu. Even if it doesn't unlock successfully it's still a great card.
If you plan to use stock cooling I'd suggest the Leadtek for their superior heatsink design.

200$ isn't exactly going to get you your money's worth of performance from a 9600XT I would try to spend 250-300. The price/increased performance ratio will be much much higher.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll probably go with a 6800 then, doesn't have to be brand new, the 9600XT I have was purchased from a member here a few months ago.

I've already got 2 wireless mice, MX1000 and MX900.

That X800 for $179 from ATI, that looks to be a good choice as well. How does that stack up to the 6800nu?

My first route would be to snag an x800xl or a 6800GT from FS/FT for under $200. If that fails, the 6800NU.

-tReP

I got a MSI x800 Pro 256mb for 199 at zipzoomfly I think it was

True, the x800pro outperforms a stock 6800nu in most tests, if only by a small margin.
Thing is, they are more expensive, and above the "Up to $200" limit set by the thread
starter WS6. Unless you count refurbs of course.

A quick search at the Egg came up with this .....

Sapphire x800pro = $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102380

XFX 6800 = $162
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150106

That's just a quick search mind you. But more significant price gap than expected.
Also, they are both AGP cards. WS6 didn't specify whether they needed AGP or PCI-E.
Only AGP 6800 have a chance at unlock, not PCI-E.

Let's please not turn this into an ATI vs. nVidia flame war. I am certainly no fan boy.
For the record my last card was an ATI 9500np. I upgraded to the 6800nu because it
seemed to me to offer the best bang for the buck at the time. Even before it successfully unlocked.

P. S. - I had to break "fan boy" into two words to avoid it being filtered. Didn't know it was such a volitile word. - lol

As GTPoompt mentioned above, the X800Pro is available in both AGP and PCI-E versions from ATI for $179 with a 3-year warranty. After the 5% off coupon and shipping, it will should up costing ~$184.

I was one of those who got the X800XT-PE refurbs for $229 shipped, and like many others, the card I received was basically brand-new. Its too bad that its not available anymore, but the X800Pro is a great card at this price, and will be definately better than a 6800NU.

tough choice I've got here. The card has to be AGP, btw.

I would say to try and get that refurb x800pro from ati. the 256mb of ram that card has will help it last longer than the 6800. although the 6800 is probably the next best choice.

If i was him I would spend an extra $$ to get a X800Pro VIVO. Heard the pipes on those unlock since they use the X800XT chip or something.

geekcomputing said:
6800 nu is your very best bet.

it supports pixel shader 3.0

ati does 2.0

You do realize that the 6800NU has terrible performance when SM3.0 is enabled and that ATi's 2.0b looks the same as SM3.0 on the 6800 and offers better performance.

Just sit tight for about 1 more month, and pick up an X800XL. I'll bet the generic brands hit $199 inside that time frame.

It's the lowest end card with the features you'll really need to last a while. 16 pipelines, and speed.

Advil said:
Just sit tight for about 1 more month, and pick up an X800XL. I'll bet the generic brands hit $199 inside that time frame.

It's the lowest end card with the features you'll really need to last a while. 16 pipelines, and speed.

^Agreed.

back when i was modding the x800pro's to XT's --i had great results from softmodding and hard modding the pro to XT in AGP--with the pci-express i was only able to unlock the thing to 16 pipes half the time. in AGP every one unlocked with either the hard mod or the soft mod. (look for the 1.6ns ram and vivo-)

although i haven't tried this in a year--something to consider.

either the x800pro or the 6800 are great cards in agp --so there is no loser there for the price that the egg has um for .

I'm thinking of getting the eVGA 6800 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E model from newegg.com. I'm wondering if the odds are with me for unlocking all the pipelines in this card? And you only need software to do it?

BloodRayne said:
If i was him I would spend an extra $$ to get a X800Pro VIVO. Heard the pipes on those unlock since they use the X800XT chip or something.
yeah, but you need to bios flash.. not as easy as the 6800

WS6 said:
Thanks for the replies.
I'll probably go with a 6800 then, doesn't have to be brand new, the 9600XT I have was purchased from a member here a few months ago.

I've already got 2 wireless mice, MX1000 and MX900.

That X800 for $179 from ATI, that looks to be a good choice as well. How does that stack up to the 6800nu?

it is a lil faster

it fits between the 6800nu and the x800xl performance wise

iRoNeTiK said:
I'm thinking of getting the eVGA 6800 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E model from newegg.com. I'm wondering if the odds are with me for unlocking all the pipelines in this card? And you only need software to do it?

6800 PCI-E uses a difference GPU: NV41.
There is nothing for you to unlock. :(
I was thinking of getting the same gfx card too...

I went with the XFX 6800GT 256MB for 50 bucks more. I'm glad I got that then :)

Well, I decided to go with the ATI X800 Pro 256meg card.
Hopefully it will exceed my expectations. Will find out by the end of the week when it arrives.

thanks again for everyones input.

My ATI refurb x800 Pro (PCI-E) was VIVO, and looked brand new out of the box. It came with all the cables and other useless shit I never use, too. I think its awesome for the price, I can run every game I own on maxxed out settings.

Well, I emailed ATI and now the card is on back order, 2-3 weeks. When I ordered the card it was listed as In Stock on the website.
So now I have to deceide if I want to wait that long or buy this eVGA 6800 128meg this guy has locally for $130,
this is the card he has and it's nearly new,
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N343-AX

and the newegg link,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130202

So, should I get this card for $130 or wait for the X800Pro 256meg for $194?

Shop around and see if you can pick up a 6800GT for around that price. I jumped on the Newegg Leadtek 6800GT refurbs awile back for $210. I had to RMA it afer afew month of use, but that was painless. Leadtek FTW!

edit:Ciefvalue link here
It's $220 now, but still worth it IMO. Mine clocks to 440/1180 and tops out at 71C at those clocks. My RMA with Leadtek was great, shipped it on a wed, they received it on Fri, I had my card back on Tues :D

Back