Update BIOS or not?

rschissler

Weaksauce
Should I update my BIOS?

I have a Asus P6X58D-E and the BIOS version is 0108 from 3/23/10. Asus gives warnings that you could mess everything up and you shouldn't do it unless you have issues. I have no issues, but plan to do some overclocking.

I've almost always updated the BIOS (on Gigabyte, ASUS, etc.) and never had any "OMG HOLY SHIT EVERYTHINGS WRONG NOW" problems. Just be sure not to use the beta ones.

i had been using the F8 bios for my motherboard since march or so and recently tried updated to F12 and F13 with no luck. i lost the o/c on my memory, i couldn't keep it at 1900mhz anymore.

i would try o/cing with what you have first, then if you think there is a possible issue, update.

if the new bios adds something new (features) i would do it. if all the update does is allow newer cpu's to be used (that you are not using), i dont usually do it.

I've had pretty good luck with beta BIOSes, especially with Gigabyte since they release a new one every few weeks.

Fair enough. I tried it a couple times and it was disastrous, but could have been a number of things.

Fair enough. I tried it a couple times and it was disastrous, but could have been a number of things.

One thing that most people tend to forget is to reload optimized defaults after flashing. And of course, never update the BIOS in WIndows.

Unless you are having problems, or need new support, there is no reason, newer BIOS do not mean better OC's, in some cases you can lose an OC, if you are really into OCing you will end up trying out most if not all BIOS to see which offers the best OC. And as for the "never flash in windows" I have always flashed from windows and never had any problem, you will want to make sure you remove your OC anything that might mess with the updating process or cause the system to become unstable.

One of the reasons I asked, is because on the Asus site where it describes the updated BIOS (version 0303), it says it will: "Increase system stability."

i had been using the F8 bios for my motherboard since march or so and recently tried updated to F12 and F13 with no luck. i lost the o/c on my memory, i couldn't keep it at 1900mhz anymore.

i would try o/cing with what you have first, then if you think there is a possible issue, update.

GB generally recommends updating a couple BIOS versions at a time, instead of going straight from F8 to F12....maybe that FUBAR'd your board?

One of the reasons I asked, is because on the Asus site where it describes the updated BIOS (version 0303), it says it will: "Increase system stability."

ASUS EZ-Flash is very easy to use, just follow the directions for the USB Drive and go for it.
Just don't flash when overclocked....use defaults and remember your prior settings somehow.

GB generally recommends updating a couple BIOS versions at a time, instead of going straight from F8 to F12....maybe that FUBAR'd your board?

Meh, I've done it quite a few times before and never had any negative results.

I usually only update my bios if it offers new features, or I am actually experiencing stability issues. For overclocking, I am usually to lazy to try every single bios to get a maximum overclock so I generally just see how high I can go on my current bios.

As they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back