UPDATE: Preorders for PS3!

laxmiddi44

Gawd
I talked to multiple gamestop and ebgames managers, and some said they either don't know or that flat out "WE WILL NOT BE TAKING PREORDERS"

One manager gave me a number that the US is only to receive 80,000 PS3's.
She also stated that each store is not expected to receive more than 1 or maybe 2 PS3 units. (most likely premium units she said)

The supply will be very low, the only way to get one is to camp 1 or even 3 days before and hope you get that first PS3.

This is going to be one hell of a tough launch............. :mad:

you could have posted this in the other 'playstation preorder' thread, and some how I doubt that 80,000 number. thats not even 20% of the intended shipment. maybe its 80,000 for ebgames/gamestop alone, but I doubt that number applies for every retail electronics store.

First of all, Sony has claimed 400,000 units for the US. The person you talked to probably ony meant 80,000 for GameStop/EB Games. Secondly, as Bad_Boy said, you could have posted in the thread that was already created for this.

zero002021 said:
First of all, Sony has claimed 400,000 units for the US. The person you talked to probably ony meant 80,000 for GameStop/EB Games. Secondly, as Bad_Boy said, you could have posted in the thread that was already created for this.

I could have sworn it was 400k for north america. If thats the case I would guess Canada will take out 50-100k so US wont get more than 350k

That's a good question. If Canada is included in the NA release, or if they have to wait like Europe. A quick google search didn't turn up any specifics. Not that it makes a huge difference.

Bad_Boy said:
you could have posted this in the other 'playstation preorder' thread, and some how I doubt that 80,000 number. thats not even 20% of the intended shipment. maybe its 80,000 for ebgames/gamestop alone, but I doubt that number applies for every retail electronics store.

I didn't even see it otherwise I would have, sorry.

The lady meant 80,000 for just gamestop/ebgames sorry for not clearing that up.

laxmiddi44 said:
I didn't even see it otherwise I would have, sorry.

The lady meant 80,000 for just gamestop/ebgames sorry for not clearing that up.
no problem, that number makes much more sense now.

The fact that anybody even uses the word "preorder" still tells me that, considering what the X360 launch was like, the majority of consumers don't learn their lesson. Ever.

laxmiddi44 said:
I talked to multiple gamestop and ebgames managers, and some said they either don't know or that flat out "WE WILL NOT BE TAKING PREORDERS"

One manager gave me a number that the US is only to receive 80,000 PS3's.
She also stated that each store is not expected to receive more than 1 or maybe 2 PS3 units. (most likely premium units she said)

The supply will be very low, the only way to get one is to camp 1 or even 3 days before and hope you get that first PS3.

This is going to be one hell of a tough launch............. :mad:

Okay well part of this does not make sense. If each store is only getting 1 or 2 units, yet 80,000 units will be available, this means there are 40,000-80,000 gamestop/ebgames stores in the U.S. Now I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if there were more than 5,000 stores nationwide. I think except for stores in smaller towns each store will get at least 5, and probably closer to 10 or 15 units. Maybe 1-2 units if its a store in Hicksville, ND (no offense if you live there :p )

Chomp said:
Okay well part of this does not make sense. If each store is only getting 1 or 2 units, yet 80,000 units will be available, this means there are 40,000-80,000 gamestop/ebgames stores in the U.S. Now I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if there were more than 5,000 stores nationwide. I think except for stores in smaller towns each store will get at least 5, and probably closer to 10 or 15 units. Maybe 1-2 units if its a store in Hicksville, ND (no offense if you live there :p )
Bad logic. You think all PS3s are going to EB/Gamestop?

Try, maybe, major retailers like Walmart and Best Buy.

Zinn said:
Bad logic. You think all PS3s are going to EB/Gamestop?

Try, maybe, major retailers like Walmart and Best Buy.

There's 400,000 PS3's coming to N. America... 80,000 is the *reported* number going to EB/Gamestop...

Quick googling found 4400 Gamestop (including EB) stores worldwide... so let's say there are 4000 max in the U.S. if each store is given an equal number they will get ~20 each.

VoodooChi|d said:
Quick googling found 4400 Gamestop (including EB) stores worldwide... so let's say there are 4000 max in the U.S. if each store is given an equal number they will get ~20 each.

I think it will probably be less, since some of the 80k will be going to people who purchase online.

I was having a friendly chat with a GameStop manager the other day about the recent managers' meeting to discuss the holiday sales season. He had quite a lot of gear given to him - shirts, pens, games, and so forth.

Long story short: don't expect PS3 pre-orders as a national policy, period. Sony totally blew the meeting in terms of presentation, details, and free swag, whereas Microsoft and Nintendo did much better. The gentleman I spoke to was very excited about the Wii, and said he thought it would be a smash hit, but also thought that Gears of War and Viva Pinata (which he played!) were both going to be fantastic.

It really does not bode well for Sony when the folks trying to sell their system can't even get excited about it.

I think what is being forgotten here is that if they send 1-2 units to each store, that leaves ~70,000 for them to sell in bundles on their website, which is where they will make their money.

I spent about $800 when I purchased the $399 Premium X360 from Costco last year. Just think what the combo online "deals" are going to cost for the $599 PS3 system.

I'm thinking AT LEAST $1000 (with shipping) for the cheapest combo.

Ouch. Hmmm Wii anyone? (lol NOT a !!!!!!)

Chickennog said:
I think what is being forgotten here is that if they send 1-2 units to each store, that leaves ~70,000 for them to sell in bundles on their website, which is where they will make their money.

Playstation 3 Omega Package!

Included Within:

Premium PS3 console.
Seven wireless controllers.
10 PS3 games you don't want to begin with.
+Abunchofotherrandomjunkwejustcan'tseemtosellseperately

copied from the avs forums
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730582&page=8&pp=30
Jann Lee said:
Again I would STRONGLY suggest that you keep a hawkeye on EBGames on Monday and Tuesday. Call them monday morning then call them monday before they close. Call them tuesday morning and the key to the magic kingdom should appear.

EBGames/GS stores have GOTTEN there pre-order items and flyers (Ive seen them with my own eyes). Pre-Orders ARE happening no matter what your store is saying at this point.

AV_Integrated said:
Since this quote hasn't been specifically used to my knowledge...

On Friday, October 6 I went to my local EB Games and asked the manager (during school hours - so I'm guessing he may have been 20 something) if he had any info on PS3 preorders.

His response:
"We just had our managers meeting and there will definitely be preorders. There will be ONE day of national preorders. Nobody knows exactly what that day is, it will be handed down from our corporate office and the information will be in our computers. But, it should be in the next few days. Sometime between Saturday and Monday. This WILL be a national event and all EB/GS stores in the country should be taking preorders on that one, and only that one, day. First come, first serve. One PS3 per home address will be allowed and will be verified through our computer system."

For all of those waiting for Monday, I would definitely start with the phone calls right now to see if you get any nibbles from stores. The calls will be thick I'm sure and stores will be going crazy with those calls, so I imagine corporate will want to make this come through sooner rather than later so that the stores aren't constantly bombarded for the next month with phone calls about the rumor of a preorder sale.

Hopefully, someone who calls at night, or before a store opens will start a NEW topic and put it in all caps that "PREORDERS TODAY OCTOBER XX @ EB/GS!!!" when they find out.

I already called and was told that there is no updated info for PS3/Wii in their computer system so today, Saturday, October 7, is not the day.

Oh - and it will be PS3 and Wii preorders.

Back