upgradable External video card solution for a laptop

Nomad

2[H]4U
Not sure if this should go in laptops or here....

I saw this on powernotebooks.com --
http://www.powernotebooks.com/product.php?itemId=2893

Called the ViDock 2 -- it is a docking station for a laptop that takes a standard desktop PCI-Express video card (offers USB and the next version says audio, network and whatever else) and plugs it into an ExpressCard slot on your laptop. It gives you the ability to game on a large monitor at great resolutions and you are no longer limited by anemic laptop video cards (unless you want to go with a desktop replacement) -- But even then you can replace the video card in the ViDock.

Looks pretty kick ass. I think I am going to wait for the ViDock3 (bigger PSU for larger cards), but I might buy one of these to support them.

Anyone else see these?

Looks like a good idea but I wonder if its like the old usb prototype that never got released a few years ago.

If it is (and it looks like it from the diagram), it won't drive the laptop's screen. Instead the graphics are driven through the external monitors making it kind of useless for what a gaming laptop was used for, unless you like carrying around a seperate keyboard, mouse and monitor.

2nd, its made by HIS. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Back