Upgrade : 2560x1440;wait for 7990 or get 690 or go 7950x2 or 670x2

heatthegreat

Limp Gawd
Pretty much, I'm sitting on some funds right now and I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger resolution as opposed to my 1920x1080 setup. My question is to you all is, should I wait for the 7990, mainly because I think with the current way things are going and the price drops, it'll settle right below the 690 pricepoint and deliver the same. Or should I go the 690 route when it becomes available again? Or, should I just add another 7950 ( has to do 1100/1600) or just sell my 7950 and buy 2x 670's? How are crossfire drivers compared to SLI ? I never really noticed microstutter in videos, so do both parties have problems? I hear alot about CF driver issues and the same about SLI, which has steered me away from multi-gpu setups, but if I'm going to raise my res, I'm going to need more horsepower. Also, do the dual gpu cards ( 690, 6990, upcoming 7990) have SLI/CF issues since they are still two gpus, just one card? Unfortunately, I'm a noob when it comes to more than one gpu. Any help is warranted, thanks!

Love AMD- I really do. But with microstutter, I would be a bit concerned with a dual GPU solution.. I would go dual 670's.. They should have no problem at all handling that rez.. Perhaps you should wait until the 4GB cards come out though.

+1 dual 670's, any SLI issue experienced with 670's would also be experienced on a 690

If the 7990 is even made, it will be almost completely pointless. The 7970 uses more power than the 6970, and it uses far more power than the actual competition (the GTX 670/680). This means a dual GPU card like the 7990 will have to be underclocked in order to meet power limits. Remember, AMD significantly underclocked the 5970 and the 6990, and those chips used less power than 7970's chip. In order to meet power limits, it will be severely underclocked, and it will be achieving 7950 crossfire performance, if not lower. These power issues effectively guarantee it will be worse than a GTX 670 SLI, and that will be $800. Therefore, it would be priced at $700 maximum, and we have to be realistic. AMD's crossfire drivers are getting worse as time goes one. I don't see how a $700 7990 would be attractive compared to a massively better performing GTX 670 SLI setup.

The way I see it, there are two options that are the most attractive. SLI GTX 670 2GB cards or SLI GTX 670 4GB cards.

Why do you need a 7990 or 690 for 2560x1440?

Also there is no reason to "bump" your posts outside of FS/FT.

No need to wait for the 4gb cards as you will be just wasting your money. Get the GTX670's NOW!!!! Even at my resolution 2560X1600, I don't have any problems even with battlefield. It's all overhyped and has been proven wrong on many many many occasions. Unless you plan on modding the fuck out of Skyrim, you're more than better off.

People keep saying that it's more future proof, but when games come out needing that much vram, you're gpu will be to damn slow anyways and you'll be upgrading again.

So yeah get the GTX670's, seems like the best bang for the buck!!

I'll give you a reason for bumping it. I wanted it to be at the top so I can maybe get some feedback, and it seemed to work. Anything else? Btw, thanks for the replies, really helped me out.

Why not get the monitor first then decide? You may not even feel the need to upgrade now.

SLI 670s would be plenty although you didn't mention what games you play. Since those displays are 60hz anyway. Forget about the 7990 for the reasons detailed, power usage is going to limit what they can do with it. 690 is awesome if you can justify the extra $200 over SLI 670.

The games I play frequently are BF3, HoN, soon to be Diablo 3. I purchased typically any AAA title that will push my rig, hence why I need the power, otherwise, a 7950 would suffice with the 3 games I play on the reg. And unfortunately for my pocket, I need to game at 60 fps solid with at least all in game details at their max, and if I can do it, 4xAA. A 7950 can't provide that unfortunately at 2560x1440 and neither can a 670 according to benches, hence why I wanted to go for a dual card setup. I'm going to wait a little bit to upgrade though, because this whole project is going to cost me around $1500, and with Ivy Bridge looming, I may just wait until late summer to do a full system overhaul ( the 7950 will suffice at 1920x1080 till then :p)

If you are planning for multi-GPU go with NVIDIA. From my personal experiences, and what seems to still the case, there is less microstutter (and thus more fluid gameplay) when running SLI versus CFX.

No microstutter here.
I had 5870 CFX and they were pretty mad. It's somewhat subjective and depends on what you are trying to do. Multimonitor on 5870 CFX was getting 40-50fps but felt like 25fps to me. Also, the 5000 series is quite a bit different than the 7000 series.

I have a korean 2560x1440 display & I am very happy with the performance of a single 670 2gb.. The 4gb though probably not necessarry I would have gone with if they were available at release. Never know what your going to be able to use in the future & its better to have it & not need it then need it & not have it.

The games I play frequently are BF3, HoN, soon to be Diablo 3. I purchased typically any AAA title that will push my rig, hence why I need the power, otherwise, a 7950 would suffice with the 3 games I play on the reg. And unfortunately for my pocket, I need to game at 60 fps solid with at least all in game details at their max, and if I can do it, 4xAA. A 7950 can't provide that unfortunately at 2560x1440 and neither can a 670 according to benches, hence why I wanted to go for a dual card setup. I'm going to wait a little bit to upgrade though, because this whole project is going to cost me around $1500, and with Ivy Bridge looming, I may just wait until late summer to do a full system overhaul ( the 7950 will suffice at 1920x1080 till then :p)

You'll find that with your new high Res monitor you won't need high levels of AA to produce IQ that is better than what you came from. Stick with your 7950 for now, I think you'll be surprised....

Back