Upgrade Antec Fusion LCD

frankhuzzah

Weaksauce
Has anyone ever changed out the LCD screen in an Antec Fusion to something that is actually useful? I've had my HTPC in this case for several years through a few rebuilds and I really like the case, but boy do I hate that LCD.

I don't want it to show anything fancy, really just the time. Are there any replacements that will produce a display that looks like every other piece of consumer electronics gear in my rack?

Well I guess I'll be the first to embark on this quest then!

I'm probably looking at the VFD route as they seem to have a better contrast, which is really my issue with the one built into the Fusion. Anybody have any preferred VFD manufactuers?

I actually have the Antec Fusion case for my HTPC. I liked the power option to turn it on and off with the built in IR receiver in the LCD. I now use a Harmony 300 remote with a USB IR instead of the built in one that is in the LCD screen of the Fusion case.

I’ve thought about changing it as it doesn’t display anything because I don’t use the original software for it. I don’t even remember what it is called but it was crappy to begin with. When I did it never was any good or accurate with what was going on.

I know Nmedia cases have a LCD upgrade for their HTPC cases and they seem like they might work. Newegg does offer them and you can get the instructions and drivers from Nmedia’s website.

I found this link and it's got me really wanting to mod my Antec case with the Nmedia LCD they make a green (older version) and a newer one that is blue. It's pretty good guide on how to tear it apart. They don't use a Antec Fusion case is the only down fall but the fusion's LCD screen and the Nmedia's seem pretty close in size and seem like it might just work.

I think I'll have to order one and see what happens.

here is the link for the guide.
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/replacing-vfd-ahanix-d4

And for the Nmedia LCD you can hit up newegg and search for NMedia LCD

Hope this helps give you some ideas.

Edit: I decided to pull the trigger and order the NMedia pro LCD. I'll post some more pictures when I start the mod.

Last edited:
I had an iMon VFD from Soundgraph which looked great in my Silverstone HTPC case. However after avwhile the usb cable crapped out.

So i finally got around to installing my Nmedia Pro LCD unit that i ordered a little while back but the PCB of the new LCD is the size of the Antecs LCD itself and there is a good 3/4" of PCB board siting out from the sides of it. So the NMedia LCD is a bit smaller width wise. It would take some extra modding to the back plastic mounting piece that the original one fits in (just drill new holes through it) but my concern is the edges (PCB board) of the new LCD sticking out on the sides and seeing it through the window of the case.

In the end I left the Antec LCD in the case for now while I drum up a better idea for mounting it to make it look clean.

LCD/VFD options at MatrixOrbital look cool, but also a bit pricey. It's good to know, though.

Mine has and will always be a blank spot on my Fusion. The iCrap sucked on it, but I still love that case!

Back