Upgrade for 9800Pro

vlad_Swe

Weaksauce
I just ordered a new LCD Screen (VP912B), and to run games in it's native resolution (1280x1024) on my rig I'm not sure if the 9800 Pro can handle everything that's thrown at it anymore. I'm running it on a P4 [email protected] with 1 Gigabyte of RAM.

Now, my question is, what should I upgrade to? Far Cry ran pretty ok, but much better in 1024. Is it worth getting a X800T (PE?), or should I wait and upgrade my entire system when the next generation of cards shows up? My budget isn't limited, but I'd rather have something cost-effective

Well, your system wouldn't bottleneck a high end card very much if any. A x800XT PE would obviously be much much faster. Why don't you get a 6800GT? It's almost as fast as the x800XT PE and like $100 or so less.

I have a 350W PSU, with 2 hard drives, cd and a dvd burner. Would it be reasonable to think that it could run a 6800GT on top of this?

Yes.
Considering people run 6800's in Shuttles and other cubes with 300Watt PSU's. Go for it.
My 9800AIW is becoming a dinosaur as well I think, but I can still play at my Native res of 1600x1200 with all the eye candy. Until CS2 comes out I have no need for a new card.

Good luck!

Really depends on how long you can wait. I am not doing any major upgrading until Socket 939 starts supporting PCI-express cards, ddr2 etc.. and I can really build a more or less future proof PC. I bought a X800pro Vivo from Compusa and softmoded to an XT PE..

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

I think I'll see how the newer games (HL2, Stalker etc) run on my machine before deciding what card to buy. I might go "second to best" with either ATI or Nvidia, since that's usually more cost-effective (bought my 9800 pro for half of what a 9800XT would have set me back).

6800GT seems like a real option, though :)

Back