Upgrade for a low profile 6670 with a Phenom II X6 1045T chip?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
It's a low profile HTPC that has slowly been morphing into a low profile gaming PC hooked up to my tv.

I have upgraded the CPU as far as it will go on the current motherboard and running a low profile 6670 GPU. What is the next step I should take in the low profile GPU world to put in the slim case I have sitting above the TV?

Brand doesn't matter, I bought the 6670 at the time because it was my best option upgrading from a 5450.

It's time to get up to at least a bit of a modern era.

Here is the motherboard I am running: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD Motherboard-Newegg.com

I dont mind getting a better card now and taking it with me when I rebuild this in a year and get to a better CPU.

I would wait to see what the amd 470/460 cards bring and even the gtx 1050 based cards. They will be major steps up over whats out now

"low profile" as in half width or single slot? for half width the msi 750 ti is still a ballsy little card if you want to buy right now.

"low profile" as in half width or single slot? for half width the msi 750 ti is still a ballsy little card if you want to buy right now.

Half height, I am running a slimline case thats only a few inches tall.

This is the PSU in the case: Antec MT-352 Micro ATX Power Supply - Newegg.com

Would I be okay with that or do I need something more? PC has just a single hard drive and a DVD in there that is used very rarely. Network connection is built into the motherboard.

it depends are where you live. if you're in north america the most powerful fully single slot card is an xfx or power color hd 7750 used on ebay. if you're in europe the most powerful is the gainward single slot gtx 750 probably also used. neither card is powerful enough to strain a low-pro psu.

it depends are where you live.
So no matter what this new 750 won't need some huge low profile PSU to go with it?

For the price I don't see how anything else out there will even compare. I will be CPU bottlenecked but it should be a nice leap from the AMD GPU in there now.

in 2014 i had a crazy fetish for low profile systems. i owned the power color hd 7750 and then imported at enormous expense (we're talking almost $300 american because of the shipping cost price gouge) the gainward single slot gtx 750. huge performance bump. even some overclocking room while confined in a very small chassis running a less powerful psu than you have. i'm doubting very much cpu bottlenecking with your amd x6.

the gtx 750 performance fits somewhere between a gtx 560 ti and gtx 570 from 2011. a 2.7ghz x6 was no slouch in gaming back then.

a 2.7ghz x6 was no slouch in gaming back then.

For sure. And if one was to do a minor O/C, say to 3GHz it would be very close to a AMD 6300 6 Core or any low end Intel i5 NOW!

OP-Nothing wrong with an old X6 for sure. Think of it as an nice old Cadillac. Won't win a drag race, but oh....so smooth ;)
I think the AMDs new 460 should be available in single slot? If not take the advice of those giving it here on the best GPU.
That box has YEARS left bro!

I have a Phenom II X6 overclocked to 3.6ghz and it was totally fine with my overclocked 7870 (making it in between a 7950 and 7970 in performance). Sure, I can get a few frames more out of it, with my Skylake i3. But those 6 core Phenom II are still pretty nice little chips, if you don't need modern features on your mobo, such as M2 drives and a bazillion PCI-E lanes. And I swear the 6 cores makes BF4 mulitplayer play better than the i3.

*Being that you have a low profile system, you will want to watch the heat. But, I would see what you can squeeze for an overclock with no voltage bump or maybe just a small one. something like 3,0 - 3.2ghz should be fairly easy to achieve.

aaaannnnd those Phenom II's love it when you overclock the northbridge. If your motherboard has options for it, the performance boost is as good as the extra mhz from an overclock. The northbridge speed is also somewhat complimentary to the CPU overclock (it keeps the ram and CPU talking at the right speed). So if you do something like 3.0 - 3.2ghz on the CPU, you would want to shoot for close to 2.4ghz on the northbridge. It goes in 200mhz steps, so it won't be exact.

A gtx 750 would love to be fed by that.

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the 750. It will be here in the middle of next week, I will report back on how it does, we just started Bioshock Infitinte's Burial at Sea DLC last night so I am looking forward to getting this so we can jack up the graphics during our first play through.

Yeah, I was able to play Bioshock infinite at 1080p High on my 750 Ti. Should be a decent experience for you, even with the cut 750 :D

It's an older card, but Nvidia hasn't released their bus-powered GP107 chip (should have GTX 960 or higher performance) yet. And AMD's Polaris 11 is targeting bus-powered GTX 950 performance, but we have not heard any official announcement about it hitting that target.

Last edited:
i would hold onto that single slot gtx 750 for dear life if you're primarily going to be computing on a low profile machine. neither nvidia or amd seem at all interested in producing single slot video cards anymore. asus engineered a no-connector gtx 950 but that card had a double slot cooler. and even the single slot 750 was an anomaly in a sea of double slot gtx 750s. the new finfet 14/16 manufacturing processes used by nvidia/amd should enliven the single slot gaming segment, but i'm naturally pessimistic so i'm not holding my breath.

Back