Upgrade from 8800GT to ATi 5770?

travr1131

n00b
So I have been running an 8800GT for a couple of years now and it has served me well. I am an occassional gamer and not really worried about getting more than 40FPS in anything. Mostly I need multiple monitor support for my work and occassional gaming.

Would going from my 8800GT 512MB to a 5770 1GB be a worthwhile upgrade? I have only seen one comparision with the 8800GT included and the 5770 seemed to double the 8800's framerate in crisis (I don't own this game.)

My system is:

Intel Q9550 at 3.8Ghz
8GB of DDR2 Ram
(2) Hans-G 28" monitors 1920x1200 each
eVGA 780i motherboard

The games I play are Civ IV, GTA IV (not great on an 8800gt), and Fallout 3. Would there be a noticeable performance difference? I have someone who wants my old card, so I can pick up the 5770 for around $80 out of pocket. Thanks in advance for your input!

Yes, you should see an increase in performance as well as the capability to game on both monitors.

GTA IV may not see much of a gain (I've read it's cpu limited but I don't know from experience) - not sure about Civ IV and FO3 should see a boost.

If you are playing at 1920x1200 you would probably benefit more from an HD5850. HD5770 would still be a nice upgrade though.

The 5850 would be better even though it's $100 more, or perhaps wait until the 5830 is released. The 5770 doesn't seem like a good value to me.

I don't really like the 5770's numbers either. I want to see the numbers when you further overclock the memory, however. Perhaps increasing the bandwidth is all it needs. I'm amazed how high the [H]-crew got the DDR5 on that card :eek:

My heavily overclocked 4850 is still looking pretty good from where I'm sitting (facing a 1680x1050 LCD).

I would ignore most of these guys. If you are reasonably happy with your 8800GT you will get a nice performance bump going with a 5770, while using less power, and running quieter.

Going to 5850 will of course offer more performance if you need it, but it will cost more (if you can find one), use more power and make more noise.

I have an 8800GT and I am likely to get a 5770 to replace it at some point. Power, noise and cost are all factors for me.

The 5850 would be better even though it's $100 more, or perhaps wait until the 5830 is released. The 5770 doesn't seem like a good value to me.

Yeah I have to agree, it just isn't worth the price. It's not a bad buy it just isn't the smartest buy.

same exact boat as the op. im really considering an hd4870 1gb since its way cheaper used and performs a bit more than the hd5770.

Last edited:
if all the games you play performs 60fps + in resolution you want, you dont have to change it.
Right now almost all 48xx series are bargain(and still dropping)
Still waiting until I can pick up another 4850 1gig for $50 =D

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it! I'm still on the fence about my purchase though! Now, I'm kind of leaning towards grabbing a 5870 and being done with it for at least the next 2 years. I wouldn't even be in any hurry, but someone wants my 8800GT and I'd like to offload it soon.

My buddy is telling me that my q9550 at 3.8ghz will be holding back the 5870, but I'm just not sure. I think it would be a good match!

My buddy is telling me that my q9550 at 3.8ghz will be holding back the 5870, but I'm just not sure. I think it would be a good match!

Your buddy is wrong. I don't know where people get the idea that a Core2Q @ 3+ Ghz will hold back a 5800 card.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it! I'm still on the fence about my purchase though! Now, I'm kind of leaning towards grabbing a 5870 and being done with it for at least the next 2 years. I wouldn't even be in any hurry, but someone wants my 8800GT and I'd like to offload it soon.

That CPU should not have any issue pushing that 5870. Maybe if you were doing crossfire that would be a different story.

I don't get people saying 5770 is not worth the price. Really?! 4870ish performance for $160 not worth it? 4870 came out at $299 and it only came out with 512MB memory. Sheesh seriously I just don't get it.

To OP it is totally worth it. Big jump in performance and you get new features that come with it.

I don't get people saying 5770 is not worth the price. Really?! 4870ish performance for $160 not worth it? 4870 came out at $299 and it only came out with 512MB memory. Sheesh seriously I just don't get it.

To OP it is totally worth it. Big jump in performance and you get new features that come with it.

4870 1GB is 150 shipped, 512 is 124 plus ship.

The numbers don't lie. Why settle for 4870ish when you can get actual 4870 for less? People thinking eyefinity are looking at 5800 series and by the time DX11 means anything at all these cards will be obsolete. Hell even 10.1 is only mildly debatable TODAY.

Yeah, to be honest I'm not overly impressed with the 5770. The 5750 I think is a great deal/buy, but the 5770 really doesn't add much more considering the hike in price. Personally, I would have rather seen a 5770 @ $180 that had a 192-bit memory bus. If you can pony up the cash for the 5850, go for it.

4870 1GB is 150 shipped, 512 is 124 plus ship.

The numbers don't lie. Why settle for 4870ish when you can get actual 4870 for less? People thinking eyefinity are looking at 5800 series and by the time DX11 means anything at all these cards will be obsolete. Hell even 10.1 is only mildly debatable TODAY.

+1. The only reason to pay $15-20 more for a 5770 is if you NEED eyefinity, you NEED low power consumption, and you only have ONE 6pin connector. Otherwise the 4870 is faster on almost all benchmarks, while being cheaper. If you want something that runs cooler and uses less power, but also is slower, get the 5770, otherwise you should just wait for the $200 card ATI will offer.

+1. The only reason to pay $15-20 more for a 5770 is if you NEED eyefinity, you NEED low power consumption, and you only have ONE 6pin connector. Otherwise the 4870 is faster on almost all benchmarks, while being cheaper. If you want something that runs cooler and uses less power, but also is slower, get the 5770, otherwise you should just wait for the $200 card ATI will offer.

And that's what the 5700 cards are for. ATI is not marketing the 5700s for the enthusiast segment, they're lower/mid-level cards. If you want 4890 performance then get 4890, nobody's stopping anybody from doing that.

since you'll be powering 2 28" I would definitely recommend ponying up the extra cash for a 5850 at least. That 5770 would definely struggle in some instances powering 2 screens. A 5770 would definitely be a performance boost from an 8800GT but not the best value in this situation

since you'll be powering 2 28" I would definitely recommend ponying up the extra cash for a 5850 at least. That 5770 would definely struggle in some instances powering 2 screens. A 5770 would definitely be a performance boost from an 8800GT but not the best value in this situation

I'm quite happy with my upgrade to the 5850 from the 8800gt. It may be overkill in many ways, but I like being able to max out settings at 1680x1050. :D

I would ignore most of these guys. If you are reasonably happy with your 8800GT you will get a nice performance bump going with a 5770, while using less power, and running quieter.

Going to 5850 will of course offer more performance if you need it, but it will cost more (if you can find one), use more power and make more noise.

I have an 8800GT and I am likely to get a 5770 to replace it at some point. Power, noise and cost are all factors for me.

I have to agree. I have an 8800GT, and just about anything available today from ATI is faster than that card. I'm aiming for a HD5770 myself, considering it's performance is roughly equal to a 4870, it's much better as far as power consumption and heat output, it's DirectX 11 compatible, and it's capable of EyeFinity. I'm reaching the end of the usable life of my 8800GT I bought 2 years ago just now (and I define 'usable life' as 'can play current games when they arrive on the market'), and I'm sure 2 years from now ~$150 will buy me a much better card than the HD5770.

The only thing I want to know now is if I can carry over my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2. The low power/heat profile lends itself to passive cooling, I'm just not sure if the retention bracket fits...

The only thing I want to know now is if I can carry over my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2. The low power/heat profile lends itself to passive cooling, I'm just not sure if the retention bracket fits...

The stock HD5770 cooler is very nice looking. Exhaust the heat outside of the pc case which is good for lowering system temps.

Lowering the temperature of HD5770 by use of after market heat sinks is not a for sure thing at this point in time.

Also I was looking at some photos of a HD5770 heat sink and it appears that the stock HD5770 heat sink makes solid contact with the GPU and another device that more than likely requires cooling as well. Have to be careful when trying out heat sinks that aren't exactly designed for a particular video card.

Not at all, there have been a few people saying its the quietest thing in their system.

Back