Upgrade from an SSD to a new SSD

Damodred

Limp Gawd
Hello

Since 2012 I've had a Sandisk 240gb SSD which performs up to my expectations. However, today I was handed two Samsung 840 EVO disks with the new firmware and I'm wondering if I will notice a performance upgrade or if it will just be in synthetic programs?

The old SSD performs according to its specs and so does the new Samsung. Then again, in what case will I see a performance gain? I'm quite casual when it comes to how I use my computer. A few games (GTA V, Skyrim), surfing the net, working in the Office suite and so on.

Sandisk results

BMViEdD.png

Samsung results

7N7ElU6.png

Thanks in advance :)

A while back I went from an first gen OCZ Vertex 120G SSD to a Sandisk Extreme 240G as my boot drive. Honestly, I didn't really notice anything other than having more room. Maybe there is/was a second or two difference in booting and loading some apps but it's nothing like going from a spinning platter to solid state.

Even is performance is on par, I belive the Samsung 840 EVO used finfet 3D transistors and have greater durability!

Don't bother with a SSD upgrade for speed unless you get a PCI-E drive. Although I personally haven't done this, I would assume that you would notice at least a little bit. I currently have an Intel 320 120GB drive and plan on upgrading to a 512GB PCI-E drive in about 6 months, along wth the rest of my 5 year old system.

Go for PCIE reduced latency and notice a difference, no point in SATA really.

When I first got my SSD, I started the clone and went for coffee, came back saw the computer rebooted and checked to see if it was the SSD that was the boot drive. Saw no difference and thought something was wrong..

Later I boot off the HD and noticed it took longer for the desktop to appear, maybe slower by 10-20 seconds.. But dont notice anything with most things.. Of course my HD has 200MB/sec speeds and 400MB/sec speeds wont show much difference except for large file copy..

BUT I do notice the difference when I open my browser with 400 windows.. It has like 10K small files in the cache that gets read and shows.. But once loaded there is no speed difference.. I regularly boot with SSD or Hard drive so I notice the speed difference.. The price is not worth the savings.. But this is a fast desktop drive.. With a laptop there would be far greater difference.. Since laptop drives generally run even slower than green drives, an SSD which loads a lot of small files would show drastic speed increase with the SSD.

Faster write speeds would only show up like if you are video editing or something like that. Database operations where a lot of small changes would benefit.. But even for compiling and such, you only save a small file and such a small amount of writes wont show any difference. So the read speeds are the most indicative difference.. I am sure if I went from the hard drive to an SSD with 1GB/sec speeds I would notice a difference as after a 3x difference you start to really notice things.. But 2x-3x is noticeable only if you are a heavy user.. editing a 5GB file would definitely show a difference when you save stuff.. Also remember, the latency comes into play as reading 10K files with 0.01ms latency or 0.001ms would show a difference of like 5-10 sec.. when a hard drive would take 30-50 seconds to read that, you see the difference.. a 5 sec difference is also noticeable but it depends how often you take advantage of that low latency.. There is a lot of hype from all quarters about SSD's.. sellers all down the chain stand to make a lot more money selling you SSD's than hard drives.. So I noticed they pressure people into getting SSD's.. I do think laptops and notebooks etc are better with SSD's... I was lost when they started to tell me I needed an SSD to really fly.. they did not care I had a desktop.. I bet they never even used a desktop but keep up the hype to make the sale..

When I first got my SSD, I started the clone and went for coffee, came back saw the computer rebooted and checked to see if it was the SSD that was the boot drive. Saw no difference and thought something was wrong..

Later I boot off the HD and noticed it took longer for the desktop to appear, maybe slower by 10-20 seconds.. But dont notice anything with most things.. Of course my HD has 200MB/sec speeds and 400MB/sec speeds wont show much difference except for large file copy..

BUT I do notice the difference when I open my browser with 400 windows.. It has like 10K small files in the cache that gets read and shows.. But once loaded there is no speed difference.. I regularly boot with SSD or Hard drive so I notice the speed difference.. The price is not worth the savings.. But this is a fast desktop drive.. With a laptop there would be far greater difference.. Since laptop drives generally run even slower than green drives, an SSD which loads a lot of small files would show drastic speed increase with the SSD.

Faster write speeds would only show up like if you are video editing or something like that. Database operations where a lot of small changes would benefit.. But even for compiling and such, you only save a small file and such a small amount of writes wont show any difference. So the read speeds are the most indicative difference.. I am sure if I went from the hard drive to an SSD with 1GB/sec speeds I would notice a difference as after a 3x difference you start to really notice things.. But 2x-3x is noticeable only if you are a heavy user.. editing a 5GB file would definitely show a difference when you save stuff.. Also remember, the latency comes into play as reading 10K files with 0.01ms latency or 0.001ms would show a difference of like 5-10 sec.. when a hard drive would take 30-50 seconds to read that, you see the difference.. a 5 sec difference is also noticeable but it depends how often you take advantage of that low latency.. There is a lot of hype from all quarters about SSD's.. sellers all down the chain stand to make a lot more money selling you SSD's than hard drives.. So I noticed they pressure people into getting SSD's.. I do think laptops and notebooks etc are better with SSD's... I was lost when they started to tell me I needed an SSD to really fly.. they did not care I had a desktop.. I bet they never even used a desktop but keep up the hype to make the sale..

First, the OP is talking about moving from one SSD to another SSD. Second, if you don't notice a large difference when using a SSD compared to a HDD and think it's just "hype to make the sale" something is wrong. You take advantage of low latencies every time your hard drive is accessed. Granted I wouldn't pay an OEM $200 to put a SSD in a pre-built computer, but I wouldn't have any problem buying it and putting one in a pre-built after purchase and cloning the HDD to it.

SSD -> SSD if they're configured correctly shouldn't see much if any difference in day to day use.

in high volume large file size you may especially if you are going from a SATAII to SATAIII (but OP isn't)

ANY MECHANICAL DRIVE -> SSD you should notice a fairly significant difference in boots/apploading/etc, if not something is probably wrong

that is sad to know, I guess when I upgrade it will be strictly for capacity.
I will still watch performance of new m.2 drives to see if they are capable of a noticeable increase in performance.

ANY MECHANICAL DRIVE -> SSD you should notice a fairly significant difference in boots/apploading/etc, if not something is probably wrong

Word loads in like a second from the SSD.. It loads like maybe in 2 seconds from the hard drive. In either case by the time I click the icon it is already up and running and I dont even have a chance to move the mouse to the open document or place the cursor in the doc where I want..

That significant difference depends on how fast your hard drive is and how the app will load and what it is loading.

Someone had this bright idea about compressing the winsx folder.. Since a compressed file should load faster than an uncompressed one usually because using NTFS on a block is faster than read access for another block..

Well I noticed that when I switched pages in the browser it would take a few seconds to switch screens after doing. It was much faster even from the hard drive. The super fast decompression did not seem to matter.. Well that shows it all depends.. And I spent a lot of time making sure nothing was compressed ever again.

Just saying, everything has a disclaimer.. Lots of time things which are obvious does not work like it should. Adding enough memory will show far more of a difference than adding a faster drive. Adding a faster CPU will show an improvement when you want to do some transformation than buying an SSD. The time saved by faster load will not be noticeable when it takes twice as long for the screen to refresh. This is why, WHAT you want to do and how you are going to do it is far more important than a single thing. other wise it would be like my boss who spent 25K for an IBM micro channel machine and he would waste everyones time by demoing how fast word perfect loaded.. which was like 1 second.. As if that made a difference since you spent 5 hours a day typing things on it which would have been better spent on hiring someone else to do the typing instead of pecking the keys and having her do that on a 5K computer..

I would echo the opinion that PCIe seems like a natural jump from any SATA III ssd. Jumping around within the SATA III pool of drives is going to delivery marginal returns for most people.

I'm personally waiting for better NVME support and an on-board U.2 connector. If Skylake brings that connector and USB 3.1 with the new connector I'm sold on building a new system along with an Intel 750.

Doing a new build now and wished to go Intel 750 PCIe/NVME. Found that Windows 8.1/10 only have the required drivers--Windows 7 limited to a workaround. Wasn't interested in either of the latter OS for the moment. Also didn't want to give up a PCIe slot and the 2.5 version uses a cable only under warranty for 1 year whereas the drive is under 5 year warranty. Went with Intel 730 for the time being. Am told that in "real-world" usage not much would be gained by the 750 unless doing lots of large file transfers and video editing.

First SSD : 64GB Micron M225
2nd SSD : 256GB OCZ Vertex 2
3rd SSD : 512GB Samsung 830
4rd SSD : 1TB Micron M550

I enjoyed every upgrade !

Back