Upgrade from Athlon X3

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
Yeah overclocking could help a lot especially if you overclock the NB. AMD procs really come to life if you can get 2600 MHz and above on one of these.

But that 965 with a solid overclock would make for a very capable gaming rig. $100 aint bad either. If youve got the $100 to spare, that would be my choice.

Yeah overclocking could help a lot especially if you overclock the NB. AMD procs really come to life if you can get 2600 MHz and above on one of these.

But that 965 with a solid overclock would make for a very capable gaming rig. $100 aint bad either. If youve got the $100 to spare, that would be my choice.

I agree with the 965. Adding the L3 cache will make a nice difference, as will the extra clocks. It's one of my favorite AMD cpus. The extra core won't hurt, but in the end I think the cache and clocks will help more for gaming, although I guess it depends on what game you're playing too.

Got my 445 running quite easily at 4Ghz with 2500Mhz on the Northbridge.

Got my 445 running quite easily at 4Ghz with 2500Mhz on the Northbridge.

My Motherboard isn't the greatest, its only 3+1 power phase, So anything past 1.425v causes the computer to crash. I did manage to get mine to 3.61 ghz with 2300mhz on the NB

My Motherboard isn't the greatest, its only 3+1 power phase, So anything past 1.425v causes the computer to crash. I did manage to get mine to 3.61 ghz with 2300mhz on the NB

Well thats a shame. Running as a tri-core at 4Ghz it Wprimes as fast (if not faster) as my Phenom II 720 at 3.6Ghz.

I dont run the Athlon as a quad as the temps go wild. The 720 unlocks with good temps and I ran it for about 2 and a half years as a quad but I now just run that as a tri too.

Hey you looking to sell your wife's X3 445...I was looking at purchasing one for my second pc?

The board only able to do 3+1 for the power may cause problems with any kind of X4/X6 upgrade.

That being said, the 965 may be a tad faster than the 1045T in games, but @ $99 the 1045T is an absolute steal. It's also a bit more futureproof than the 965, and should run just as cool. My 1045T does 4ghz+ on all the cores on top of a 3ghz NB.

x6 if you want to future proof.
I assume your wifey is gaming since you got that video card for her. Most games nowadays are using more cores.

I have a X3 455 and yeah; it struggles in BF3/BC2. I do feel though that the performance is right on the cusp of being acceptable. A solid OC should make BC2 play reasonably well but BF3 will need the 4th core unlocked. My board is a POS though. No unlock capability and very limited OC potential. It's not my primary system so I don't dump any out-of-pocket coin on it but I'm in the middle of selling a bunch of older AM2 CPUs and boards and some GPUs and plan on using my PayPal balance for a new board. I'm hoping the 4th core unlocks successfully, I think it would be a viable gamer then.

Back