Upgrade? GTX 260 -----> GTX 260 Core 216 55nm

Should I step-up?

• Total voters
Looking to upgrade from the GTX 260 to the new GTX 260 Core 216SP 55nm. Got 2 days left to step up. Want to get a feedback of what you guys would do.

Upgrade cost:
GTX 260 216SP 55nm - ~$30
GTX 285 - ~$140

I would say no to both

The core 216 will give you no extra playability, and the 285 maybe can give you an extra 2xAA

I bit the bullet guys. I have started the step up process. #47 in queue. Although, I can cancel before that time. I looked at it this way, I have the latest and greatest. And when I do plan to SLI, I wont have to downclock the newer card.

I started a step-up to the 55nm 260 from the old core192 260. I figured with the voltage tuner coming out, they'll prob add the new 260's to the list of supported cards sooner or later. Also i'll be getting a smaller die size and an extra 24 cores and maybe a new game along with it.

I have (3) gtx 260 216sp 55nm all of them OC to 780/1560/1200 stock cooled. My friend has the older model and can barely clock them to 700 on the core.

I bit the bullet guys. I have started the step up process. #47 in queue. Although, I can cancel before that time. I looked at it this way, I have the latest and greatest. And when I do plan to SLI, I wont have to downclock the newer card.

GTX 285 or GTX 260/216 55nm?

Where are you seeing 55nm distinction for core216 260s? I can't find that anywhere. Thanks.

edit: nm i see now on EVGA's site.

well if u'll do the change made just go 285 ? :s

i find BFG 285 ocx pretty hardcore spec card !

GTX 260 55nm man. Dont got money to burn :D Wish I did though. I will SLI when I get my i7 rig..........which might be a couple months down the road.....hopefully if prices cooperate.

Thats still a great card, enjoy!

What resolution are you playing at?

Play at 1680x1050 atm.

Definitely a stupid upgrade either way.

Well, for ~$30, I will get the latest and greatest. To tell you the truth, I paid $170 for my GTX 260 when cashback was going on in full force. I have received my rebate and cashback so I guess I'm in the money. Plus down the road, I will SLI and I think this new 55nm will stay for a while. So that why I chose to upgrade.

Play at 1680x1050 atm.

Well, for ~$30, I will get the latest and greatest. To tell you the truth, I paid $170 for my GTX 260 when cashback was going on in full force. I have received my rebate and cashback so I guess I'm in the money. Plus down the road, I will SLI and I think this new 55nm will stay for a while. So that why I chose to upgrade.
I would have made the same choice then, especially for only $30. Enjoy your new card :D.

$30 will get you a GTX 285? Do it, lol.

I don't want to create new thread for this so I borrow this one:
I bought GTX 260 (216SP 55nm) card and GPU-z is giving me mixed readings.
Technology says it's 55nm, but Revision is A2 and die size is 576mm^2..like in 65nm version...any other methods of finding out is this really 55nm version or not?

I think it is a waste to step up to the 260(216 shader) card. Either try the 295 GTX or just wait for the 40nm nvidia cards.

How do we tell before we buy if it's a 55nm card? I'd like a XFX 55nm GTX260.

Usually you can tell by the model naming each company has. With EVGA, its pretty simple to see if it is a 55m since it states in the model name. With XFX though, its weird....either that or newegg has it wrong.

Case in point:
Newegg
XFX Webite

If you compare the model number from newegg and XFX's website, they state it differently. The model "GX260NADFF" on newegg actually correlates to a 192SP GTX 260 on the manufactures site. And obviously those are going to be 65nm cards. I'm pretty sure newegg is wrong b/c I've had numerous occasions where the manufacturer's site states something completely different then what newegg states.

But honestly, to tell the difference, look at the model numbers and compare it to the manufacturer's site and make sure it makes sense. Otherwise call them up or post it on this forum so that other people will help you out. Good luck with that....I know its a pain in the arse.

Meh. I'm not gonna waste my time contcting EVGA and XFX to ask which ones are 55nm. If they're not going to put it up on their sites to tell me straight up, I'm not going to buy their cards.

Meh. I'm not gonna waste my time contcting EVGA and XFX to ask which ones are 55nm. If they're not going to put it up on their sites to tell me straight up, I'm not going to buy their cards.

Well, I know that for a fact EVGA does.

896-P3-125x-AR ----------> 55nm
896-P3-126x-AR-----------> 65nm

Plus the picture on the card is different. The new 55nm cards from EVGA has a piston thing on it.

Dont know bout XFX, BFG, or other manufacturers. All 192SP GTX 260's are NOT 55nm. All new 55nm are in 216SP variant. I would check if it matters to you.....plus the $$$ involved.

Great....I'm now #40 in queue. I was looking into the GTX 280 deal and selling this. Then maybe later stepping up to the GTX 285. Missed out by seconds.....seconds I say. :mad:

Damn, EVGA's Core 216 55 nm is now $210 AR. I'm still in step up period but it's cheaper than my 260 SC, can you step up to a cheaper card? :D

I'm about to send my 260 core 192 off to get my new 55nm 260. I paid $20 for the step-up and shipping combined. (not including shipping my card back) But i think its worth it for the extra cores, possible higher overclocks, and smaller fabrication. Especially if i put in that WC loop in i've been wanting for so long. What are the chances that evga will add the 55nm 260 to the voltage tuner? and how long do you think it will take?

Looks like these 55nm cards get hotter and don't have the backside cooler that the 65nm cards do.

I wouldn't do it unless I can upgrade to 295. If anything I might consider getting a second 192 260 for sli if your mobo allows it.

Back