upgrade i7 930 to sandy or ivy worth it?

Since giving my 920 a striped pair of Corsair C300s maybe a year ago, I feel absolutely no desire to upgrade. The person behind the keyboard is the bottleneck nowadays.

I just moved from a 4.0Ghz i7 940, to a 4.8Ghz 3930K setup. It's pretty cool, but I could have easily lived with the old setup.

Hi All
My 920 does everything I need it to do, so I won't be upgrading til IvyBridge or beyond.

Not sure how relevent, but I just upgraded from QX6700 system to an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with 3930 and am totally stoked. I also got two M4 SSD's, one for OS and one for my games. The upgrade was like jumping into the future!

Still haven't found my sweet spot - running 4.6Ghz @ 1.32 vcore and very stable, but that is just my happy spot right now. I haven't even started tweaking the ram yet, but I am running at DDR3 2400 right now with C11 2T. Will tweak that down once I get a good feel of the mobo.

I have seen improvement across the board. Very noticable. Total cost was a little over 2k but was very worth it to me and I hope this rig lasts me as long as the previous did, and I am confident it will. My only upgrades over the past few years have been GPU. Now that I have the option of going quad-SLI, I think my upgrade path will be cheap for awhile, soon (when the 580GTX gets to bargain price).

Really, the only time I think it's a bad time to upgrade, is when you don't need to. I actually needed to, and I always go big when I do.

i have an i7 930 @ 3.8, which somehow is a bottleneck for my gtx480 sli.

Ontop of everybody elses reasoning (consumption, heat), ivy will keep my SLI going faster for just a tad longer before the nvidia GK110's come. I KNOW it is bottlenecked in BF3 because i never break 80% usage on the max settings.

I'll be sad to see this mobo go though. it has the perfect PCIe layout for my needs.

i'm on this boat as well... shits about to capsize.

sata 3gbps - > 6gbps is a high increase in raw speed, but ssd performance highlights access time

920 @ 4.2ghz is not far from the latest intel has to offer in terms of gaming

at this point, it's really up to your thoughts on power consumption and even giving up 2 dimm slots

feels like lga1366 just keeps outliving itself

i just sit here and keep convincing myself not to upgrade

You realize that lga1366 has been one of the best future proof boards in years?

Bah, 775 was better then 1366. A good 945 or 975x board went from Prescott P4s to Core 2 Quads.

I just want intel to pick a friggan socket. I was gonna go 1156, then they made nothing else for it. I'm still debating on 1155, but its theoretically dead aswell. Maybe 1150 will have a better shelf life.

Well with amd being less competitive, I bet intel will slow down a bit and we will see sockets last longer.

Perhaps I am just old school, but what is wrong with keeping what you have, buying a $20 SATAIII controller card, and your SATAIII SSD? I know add in cards are not as common as they used to be... but... for $20, you will get all the same performance increases (in terms of I/O) from a SATA III SSD as you would with a whole new board. Unless you are bench-marking competitively I don't see any reason to upgrade at this point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

PS. My 1366 X58 board has USB 3.0, and SATAIII built in....

My 1366 X58 board has USB 3.0, and SATAIII built in....

Except that X58 lacks native support for both USB 3.0 and SATA III. You see, SATA III support on X58 mobos comes from a crappy Marvell chipset, and USB 3.0 support on X58 mobos comes from early revisions of the NEC/Renesas chipset.

You can always stall an upgrade, and also. something new is always just around the corner.

My 775 rig, I built around that beast heat-monger Qx chip was still going strong. I have kept in the game with GPU upgrades over the years and really, could have lasted another year with that rig.

I still am very implressed with my upgrade thought and am also confident that it will last me at least 3 more years.

I personally (on my i7 920 + Rampage II Extreme + 12gb TriChannel 1866) don't believe SB-E is worth it at current prices and crappy selection, but I'm waiting for IB-E to see if Intel corrects their mistakes and makes it more like 1366 - I'm not going to pay $700 just to get the same amount of cores as the extreme edition etc.. If I was on a Rampage III Extreme I would even feel less need to upgrade as USB3 and SATA6 would be taken care of.

I'm not really interested in mainstream Intel chipsets because honestly, there are too many problems that require lots of revisions, plus the performance isn't where I'm wanting it if I'm going to pay for the "Intel Tax" to begin with. However, I am wanting to upgrade the core of my rig around the time IB-E comes out simply for all the ancillary "extras" that can be conferred by the new chipset. However, I don't want it to be another SB-E situation, releasing late, limited, and expensive. If that's the case, I'll either be holding on even longer or looking over to next generation AMD.

Raises hand...
Yeah my 920 is still good...except I want to do matx now instead of atx. It's tempting since 1155 matx boards aren't super expensive but then I have to buy a new cpu and ram o_O. The strange thing is 1366 boards continue to be expensive as hell (at least it feels like it to me).

wtb cheap ASUS Rampage III Gene & fractal arc midi :(

yeah they still cost as much as LGA1155 bur no where near 1156 or LGA2011. a lot of 1366 are going for cheap its just hard to find MAtX boards for a good price. you would probably pay around ~150-200

Back