Upgrade or Wait...

AaronZ

n00b
I am currently running an ATI 9600 Pro 128MB card and want to upgrade to the NVIDIA side of things. Should I get the top of the line (or close to it) AGP card or wait to upgrade my motherboard, cpu, memory, and video card?

Reason for upgrading: Vista and some gaming and do not like ATI.

I'm waiting but that's only because I don't have plans to play any new computer games coming out yet and because I'm playing console games. Also the longer you wait the better because hopefully by the time some really good dx10 games come out there will be a better selection of directx10 compatible video cards to buy.

True but I am not looking to go really high end when I upgrade my system. I am looking to go to the 7900 series only. I dont play that many games to take advantage of the 8800 series.

Thanks for all your input.

I would wait until more DX10 cards come out and then upgrade your whole system. Once more DX10 cards come out, there will be a better price range in which to buy.

There's never really a good time to upgrade because something else is always around the corner.

My strategy's always been to buy the best I could afford at the time which keeps me cutting edge for about a week! :rolleyes:

I've recently bitten the bullet and upgraded because my old systems have bitten the dust. Otherwise I'd still have been dithering. I've gone for 8800 GTX mainly as a treat (my birthday's fast approaching) and because it's the fastest card around at the moment. Sure the R600 is coming out but if I wait for that then doubtless Nvidia will have another one ready within a few weeks, then ATI again and so on and so forth.. So I stick to buy the best at the time and try not to get too bitter and twisted about it when something better/cheaper emerges the following week.

Try.. but not always succeed... :D

AaronZ said:
AGP? Sure send me a PM with specs and a price.
Dang, the card is a PCI-e, not an AGP. I will send a PM, once I made my choice to sell if you are still interested. :)

I would try to wait if you plan to upgrade the rest of your rig anytime soon.

I'm in the same situation. I've decided to wait, because any agp card I buy will be useless for future upgrades and the cost/performance ratio of agp is way worse than pcie.

Back