Upgrade plans

TehDave

n00b
Lo all, at the end of the month I will have a bit of money left over for upgrading, im wondering if i should upgrade now or leave it for a while (ie until dual cores become widley avaliable etc)

My current system is

xp3200+
1024 DDR 3200
9800 pro
200gig SATA
80gb IDE

I think my system is now having problems with current games, ie Splinter Cell is a right bitch on it. If i was to upgrade I would look into something like:

socket 939 with SLI
1x 6800GT
3800+ venice or newcastle

Should i wait a while for the technology like dual core CPU's etc, or spend the wonga on something else like a new sound system.

Thanks for your help

David

why not upgrade to a 3000+venice. then when dual cores come out sell the venice and pop in the new one?

Filter said:
why not upgrade to a 3000+venice. then when dual cores come out sell the venice and pop in the new one?

To me that doesn't seem worthwhile.

TehDave said:
To me that doesn't seem worthwhile.

seeing how it only takes 5 mins to swap cpu's you can enjoy the benefits of a new machine now instead of waiting months before dualcores actually go on sale. and pop in a new one.

Filter said:
seeing how it only takes 5 mins to swap cpu's you can enjoy the benefits of a new machine now instead of waiting months before dualcores actually go on sale. and pop in a new one.
how much faster woudl a 3000+ venice system be than his current system? I wouldnt consider it much of an upgrade, video card dependant, and the entire cost the 3000+ would either have to be sold or eaten, much more effort there. Minor upgrades arent the best for everyone, even if they are just to allow for future expansion. I myself prefer to just make big leaps/bounds when possible.

over the xp would be prettty decent jump

and when he went to a 6800gt like hes wanting hell see even a bigger performance gain.
at only $149 dollars for 3000+venice its a steal. he should have no problem selling it once dual cores come out.

I would agree with most people here. If you're going to make a jump to duel core why not go ahead and do the 3000+ venice and 6800 gt pci-e. Just the jump to a 6800 would show you huge performance gains on games. I'm guessing you may have to eat a total of $50 at the absolute most on that cpu. And saying that AMD is planning on releasing duel cores...it's just my guess if they actually come out in June, prices may stabalize and drop a little by Auguest. If you can't afford to eat the $50 or less on a CPU you probably won't be able to afford the duel core setup anyway /shrug.

Just my $.02

Back