Upgrade Suggestions?

mryerse

2[H]4U
Should be getting a couple $k in late July and am considering upgrading CPU/MB/Memory. Don't need to but am considering it. What I have now:

MB - Intel DX38BT (got my q6600 clocked to 3.0 but the board it a bitch OC with so I left it at 3.0)
CPU - [email protected] (I know it will go higher but the board is a bitch to work with)
Mem - 8gb DDR3 (it's 1333 but I think it's running slower for the current CPU speed)
Graphics - XFX 5850
Intel SSD hard drive

I game at 1920x1200

Main goal in an upgrade would be to get a motherboard that is better with overclocking and a CPU that is good value for overclocking. Basically the fastest OC for the money. Maybe a 920? Memory I don't really care as long as it gets a good OC to the CPU, but I'd like 6-12 gb. I have 8 now but it seems like I never even come close to using it. 12 would be nice I suppose in case I get more into running some virtuals which is likely to happen at some point. But I know I don't need it.

I've been considering holding out until the next gen CPU's come out though since this setup has pretty much allowed me to run all games in highest settings.

Would you upgrade now or wait?

Is gaming the primary usage for this PC?
What PSU will you be using?

Since you have 8gigs of ram, I'm assuming its 4 sticks in dual channel. The 920(1366) uses triple channel, or 6 dimm slots rather than your 4. I think it would be a better investment if you went with 1156 board, so you aren't gimping the triple channel.

Ill leave the 1156 board suggestions to someone else, I'm not savy in them.

Yeah mostly gaming and a little bit of video encoding from time to time. PSU is an XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W.

Yes, ram is 4 sticks of 2gb each. You thinking I can keep this on an 1156? Would 1333 be fast enough to OC a 720?

Back