Upgrade time

craigdeguz

Gawd
Its about that time in a couple months for me to upgrade. Currently im working with the following components:

-ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-EVGA 256-P2-N537-AX GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
-CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT400C3 - Retail
-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
-120GB western digital harddrive

Im thinking about upgrading in like 2-3 months. Is there going to be new stuff out by then?
Anyways, for now, im looking to see whats avaible for an upgrade, around 1400 dolalrs. Im looking for a PC that will run DX10 and a 24-30inch beautiful monitor. Might OC if I learn how to do it.
Also, maybe I just sell all the stuff I have to upgrade or work with what i have?
What does everything think? price doesnt include monitor. I also need power supply because current one might not cut it. Also maybe cooling solutions.

Thanksss

Ill give ya props on your car! Dope ride. Love VW, but drive an Audi. (Similar to VW)

"Is there going to be new stuff out by then?" .... There's always going to be new stuff out.

First, start with the Intel Core 2 Duo platform.

Second, for DX10 and gaming on a large monitor, look at Nvidia's 8800GTS or 8800GTX. If larger than 24" I'd probably look at a GTX. Also, ATI's DX10 cards may be out by then.

I'd just sell what you have and start new, you're working on a dead platform right now.

I agree, with moosey. Sell your current setup to help offset the costs of a new Core2Duo. The R600 should be out by then, as well as the new Core2Duos (along with price drops).

thanks for the replies.

how about power supplies? what kinda power will be needed? also, when is it needed to have two 8800s?

For a single 8800 card, the Corsair 520W will be fine. If you want to SLI two of them, go for the 620W corsair instead. If you have alot of drives to go along with those cards, go for a 750W silverstone.

8800GTS in SLI is only needed for 22" or larger. You could get away with a single GTS/GTX on a 22", though, but its up to you. Check out the benchmarks for whichever games you plan on playing, to see how the card configs perform.

Back