Upgrade to dual core, performance questions

kidicarus74

Limp Gawd
So I bought a new development rig for work (i primarily do webpage development/design in php/asp using photoshop and dreamweaver but also do some database programming as well as .NET and VB programming) which made me fall in love with dual core. Its just a simple 2.8ghz Pentium D, gig of ram, x300 video card, nothing special, but its ability to multitask the sheer performance in multithreaded apps like Photoshop are nothing short of amazing to me.

Which lead me to the burning desire to upgrade my home pc. It is my everyday use machine which does gaming, dvd authoring, webpage development (work from home) on top of basic internet/office stuff. Currently i'm using an A64 3500+ NewCastle (stock at 2.2ghz), 1 gig of ram, 6800gt, 2x36 gig raptors in raid 0, etc (should be in my sig). All this drives a dell 20" widescreen lcd @ 1680x1050. And here's what i'm going to (probably):

-A64 X2 4200+ or 4400+
-Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo
-nVidia 7800gt or 7800gtx
-2 gigs of ram
-new powersupply (probably seasonic)

so, i'm not really worried about the money but at the same time, i don't just want "bragging rights" hardware (expensive stuff that show no real performance increase). So, how much would the 4400+ be worth performance-wise over the 4200+, and the same for the GT over the GTX. Ultimately, i'd like get either the 4200+ w/ the GTX or the 4400+ w/ the GT (since they come out to be about the same $) but can't decide even after reading review after review.

More specifically about what I'll be using it for, gaming at 1680x1050 with eyecandy (games like the F.E.A.R. demo and EQ2 make my system stutter as it is), multitasking between photoshop, dreamweaver, and flash, etc.

thanks in advance

4200 and the GTX is my thougtht. The CPU is less of an issue than the Vid card as it relates to the new games coming out.I have a 3800 X2 and a GTX and it will take just about anything a toss at it. You would be fine with a 4200

Just my .02

Back