Upgraded video card, no output now

FuSoYaii

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to upgrade my AMD 6870 to a GeForce 660Ti, but I'm not getting video output with the new card. This is an RMA, original card and new one have the same issue. eVGA says they tested my first card and it passed all their testing, and that the new one was tested and is considered brand new. So I'm going on the assumption that the issue is not the card itself.

Here's my setup.

XFX 6870 (old) / eVGA 660Ti FTW Sig2 (new)
i5-2500k
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Asrock Z68 Pro3-M
Seasonic X650
2x8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR-1600
Samsung F3 1TB (system hard drive)
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB on SATA3 (Steam/games hard drive)
chassis and CPU fans are hooked up to a Sunbeam Rheosmart controller

I know all the cables, monitor, components work b/c everything works fine when I swap the 6870 back in. With the 660Ti in, 2x6-pin power cables connected, I get no video output to either HDMI or DVI. The system turns on, lights come on, fans spin up (including video card fans), but no signal on monitor.

I've tried clearing CMOS, didn't do any good. I also tried uninstalling all the old AMD drivers, that didn't do anything either. Thoughts?

Last edited:
maybe your motherboard hit the dust

Last edited:
do you have another system you can test the new card in? or have a friend with one that could give it a try?

What happens if you install the 660Ti and hook up the monitor cable to the motherboard's integrated video output? I expect you'll get video via the IGP, sure, but it might get you into Windows or BIOS or safe mode so that you might be able to start figuring out what is going on with the nVidia drivers.

What happens if you install the 660Ti and hook up the monitor cable to the motherboard's integrated video output? I expect you'll get video via the IGP, sure, but it might get you into Windows or BIOS or safe mode so that you might be able to start figuring out what is going on with the nVidia drivers.

hadn't actually thought of that, thanks. I connected the monitor to IGP, booted into Windows, uninstalled the old AMD drivers, rebooted, installed the latest GeForce drivers and rebooted. Still using the IGP to boot, the 660Ti is recognized in Device Manager, no exclamation mark. Back in BIOS I switched primary video back to PCI-E, connected HDMI to the 660Ti, still no output. I tried this on 3 different BIOS versions too, all with the same outcome, no output.

Anything else I can do while in Windows via IGP?

Last edited:
Two more questions.

1) What monitor do you have?
2) What happens when you try plugging the DVI cable into the other DVI port on the 660 Ti?

Try card in another system, or it's your motherboard. I had a Foxconn board that wouldn't take Nvidia cards. Turns out it was a known issue with the board.

Two more questions.

1) What monitor do you have?
2) What happens when you try plugging the DVI cable into the other DVI port on the 660 Ti?

I have a 46" LG LCDTV and an Asus VH242 monitor, same issue on both monitors. The card has 1 HDMI port, 2 DVI ports, no output on any of them.

I had a 66Ti that would not come out of sleep mode without reseting the power on the MB, might just be a compatibility problem as others mentioned. My prior 6850 and the now new 7950 have had zero issues in that regard

Does your MB have the latest BIOS version installed?
I'd also suggest uninstall-reinstall video drivers.
Have you placed the GPU in all the available PCI-e x16 slots to see if that makes a difference?

Have you put the nvidia card in another system to make sure it works?

This sounds like an incompatibility issue between the board and the card.:eek:

do any other pci-e cards work in your system? its possible your pci-e slot has died

Does your MB have the latest BIOS version installed?
I'd also suggest uninstall-reinstall video drivers.
Have you placed the GPU in all the available PCI-e x16 slots to see if that makes a difference?

Have you put the nvidia card in another system to make sure it works?

This sounds like an incompatibility issue between the board and the card.:eek:

Yea, I have the latest BIOS installed. also tried the previous 2 BIOS versions, all 3 gave the same results. I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers too, with different BIOS, freaking took forever, no dice. My mobo is mATX, non-SLI, only 1 PCI-E slot. Gonna try the card in a friend's system soon, we'll see what happens.

do any other pci-e cards work in your system? its possible your pci-e slot has died

I still have my old 6870, it works perfectly fine. I've swapped the 6870 and 660Ti several times trying to troubleshoot. so I'm sure its not the slot.

do you have another system you can test the new card in? or have a friend with one that could give it a try?

just checked and the card works in my friend's computer. he's running a core i7 on an Asus P6T6 WS (X58 chipset) with an AMD 4870 card on DVI. so its not the video card, or the drivers, since he had AMD Catalyst drivers installed. Just plugged in the 660Ti and booted into windows with a low resolution.

so most likely a BIOS issue? anything else I should try?

well you pretty much confirmed, the card is working fine in another machine, and you've already tried reinstalling drivers. Try loading up bios defaults and if that doesn't work, probably a flaky motherboard or bios.

Looking up your motherboard it says the latest bios version is 2.30 (dated 7/5/2012) for added:

*Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility.

This may have something to do with it, may want to look further into bios settings. If this doesn't work, may want to have a go at asrock's support.

do a search of your motherboard and your card, see if something comes up

I was thinking originally that it might have been a problem with the lack of a dual-link DVI connection (for higher resolutions). I wonder if PCIe-3.0 is the issue? Is there any way to fall back to PCIe-2.0 or 2.1?

Some of the literature on ASRock's website mentions a GTX 580 being used on the board so I don't think it would be an ASRock/nVidia incompatibility. Maybe an incompatibility with Kepler cards though I do not know.

Did you check to make sure you had the most up to date nVidia drivers? Did you try one or two revisions prior to the latest drivers? Also did you check to make sure Virtu's software was installed, or disabled, or doing what ever the heck that software is supposed to do when using a dGPU?

I was thinking originally that it might have been a problem with the lack of a dual-link DVI connection (for higher resolutions). I wonder if PCIe-3.0 is the issue? Is there any way to fall back to PCIe-2.0 or 2.1?

Some of the literature on ASRock's website mentions a GTX 580 being used on the board so I don't think it would be an ASRock/nVidia incompatibility. Maybe an incompatibility with Kepler cards though I do not know.

Did you check to make sure you had the most up to date nVidia drivers? Did you try one or two revisions prior to the latest drivers? Also did you check to make sure Virtu's software was installed, or disabled, or doing what ever the heck that software is supposed to do when using a dGPU?

I was actually wondering about the PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0 thing too, there's no option in the BIOS regarding this though. There's only setting the primary (onboard, PCI-E, or PCI), shared memory (set to auto), IGP multi-monitor (enabled), and Render Standby (enabled). I have no idea what Render Standby is.

I used to latest GeForce drivers (306.97), but didn't try any of the older ones. But again, the card worked fine my friend's system which had AMD drivers in it. It just booted into low resolution, as expected.

I don't have Virtu installed.

Last edited:
I had to brush up on my system specs ... it looks like the motherboard is PCIe 2.x only. Not to mention the PCIe lanes come off the CPU which, again, is PCIe 2.x only. PCIe 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCIe 2.x slots so there is no technical reason a Kepler card won't work in your computer. When you run the monitor off the IGP your card is being recognized by nVidia's drivers and it works in the other computer ... so the card itself isn't dead.

Did you try running the nVidia card with NO nVidia drivers installed, much like you did with your friend's computer? If that works definitely try older drivers. It wouldn't be the first time a odd bug showed up in only one or two driver versions. I myself am using v301.42 drivers. I *think* the 660Ti is supported in drivers as early as v304.xx.

Last edited:
I had to brush up on my system specs ... it looks like the motherboard is PCIe 2.x only. Not to mention the PCIe lanes come off the CPU which, again, is PCIe 2.x only. PCIe 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCIe 2.x slots so there is no technical reason a Kepler card won't work in your computer. When you run the monitor off the IGP your card is being recognized by nVidia's drivers and it works in the other computer ... so the card itself isn't dead.

Did you try running the nVidia card with NO nVidia drivers installed, much like you did with your friend's computer? If that works definitely try older drivers. It wouldn't be the first time a odd bug showed up in only one or two driver versions. I myself am using v301.42 drivers. I *think* the 660Ti is supported in drivers as early as v304.xx.

tried it both with and without drivers, no difference. i dont think its a driver issue.

Back