Upgrading from 3500+/6800gt

kidicarus74

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I've got a new job, a nice big paycheck, and the upgrade itch.

Here's what i have at the moment:

Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle
Abit AV8 K8T800 Pro mobo
eVGA 6800gt 256mb graphics card
1 gig Corsair XL (2x 512mb 2-2-2-5) RAM
2x 36gig Raptors (Raid 0)
NEC 16x DVD+-RW DL burner

just got a Samsung 930b 19" LCD (only does 1280x1024 but does it damn good). I do heavy multi-tasking (ripping dvds, running bittorrent, playing games, running itunes, etc.) but also am pretty hardcore about gaming on its own (bf2 is ruining my sleeping habits)

i feel like my computer is only upper-mid range right now and want to know what y'all suggest for an upgrade.

- new pci-express motherboard and a 7800gtx
---or---
- same mobo Athlon 64 X2

or something i haven't even thought of... please help!

The 7800 only utelizes (sp) I think 43% of your processor (which in your case is very good), so I'd go for the new mobo, and the 7800.

Um are you serious? You are upgrading from that??? You want to sell me your old parts, I need an upgrade - videocard and CPU, and whatever else. I'm serious by the way... that is solid hardware you are getting rid of. But anyway I'm just jealous.

You have a decent system there, I would wait to upgrade. If want to upgrade i'd say get 2 gigs of ram.

haha... 4 replies, 4 completely different opinions... i appreciate it tho

jubs, i sent you a pm about selling my stuff

Although the X2 is veeeery tempting I would opt for the 7800 because you're probably going to have to go PCI-E eventually anyway.

Tough choice, though.

If your upgrading from that then I suggest just completely getting a new setup. PCI-E, Dual-Core, and 2GB. Imo thats a damn good system that should last another year at least.

What a waste. You don't need to upgrade. In any case if you do, you might as well build another box.

If you're hellbent on it, I'd say an SLI mobo and another 6800GT. But if I were you I'd get some other electronic toys...

let the guy upgrade, if you wanna spend the money go right ahead. I'd go with the new mobo and 7800.

I would get an ASUS A8N-E motherboard ($120), and an eVGA or BFG 7800GTX ($600). Later on, get an X2 4400+. You'll be set for a year or two.

This is a tough choice for me to make if this was my choice in upgrade, I myself would probably save up enough money to get everything, but if I had to choose either I would probably go with the 7800GTX since I am big into gaming.

Wow, way to ruin my day lol. Your getting rid of the "State-Of-The-Art" parts... taht I just ordered :(

guys, i think you're taking this the wrong way... i know my stuff is good, it's not super fantastic, but it definitely performs well..

the thing is, i just got a new job, and a rule i have is that my first paycheck, i blow it on something for me... kind of a reward for getting a new job and that way i start it off right. this time, i already bought a 61" DLP tv, a 7.1 channel theater system (A/V Receiver, DVD Player, and Speakers) and i have in the neighborhood of $600 left. I was gonna build an HTPC but i found that since i have 2 tivos already and xbox media center, i don't need one... so i turned to my computer, which isn't that old but some really great new tech has come out since i built it last october (when newcastles were all the rage.. haha)... namely the 7800gtx and the Athlon X 2... so there you go... the method behind my madness

kidicarus74 said:
guys, i think you're taking this the wrong way... i know my stuff is good, it's not super fantastic, but it definitely performs well..

the thing is, i just got a new job, and a rule i have is that my first paycheck, i blow it on something for me... kind of a reward for getting a new job and that way i start it off right. this time, i already bought a 61" DLP tv, a 7.1 channel theater system (A/V Receiver, DVD Player, and Speakers) and i have in the neighborhood of $600 left. I was gonna build an HTPC but i found that since i have 2 tivos already and xbox media center, i don't need one... so i turned to my computer, which isn't that old but some really great new tech has come out since i built it last october (when newcastles were all the rage.. haha)... namely the 7800gtx and the Athlon X 2... so there you go... the method behind my madness

Buy the 7800GTX and new mobo and sell the 6800 on ebay for a decent rate (lots of stupid people there). Once you have your eBay money...buy the new proc and sell the old on eBay. By time all is said and done...you should have it all for ~$600 ;)

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
Buy the 7800GTX and new mobo and sell the 6800 on ebay for a decent rate (lots of stupid people there). Once you have your eBay money...buy the new proc and sell the old on eBay. By time all is said and done...you should have it all for ~$600 ;)

-tReP
Excellent advise. You might get $300+ for your 6800 on ebay.

Back