Upgrading from a Ti4200...

doormat

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a GF4 Ti4200.

I see in the best buy ad that they have the Radeon X700 Pro 256MB AGP for $99 AR. It seems like a good deal in terms of price/performance.

I dont play a lot of games (WC3, FS2004, nothing intensive). The problem is that I just upgraded to a 2005FPW and I'd like to run the games at the LCD's native res (1640x1050 or something like that). FS2004 has been running slow ever since I got the extra terrain packs as well, and WC3 runs a little slow when its busy.

Is it worth the $100 to upgrade? Especially if I end up dumping this platform for an new one (PCI-E) at the end of next year...

at the end of next year

thats aways away...

...everyone is talking about this one...

here

100 bucks for 6800 like performance....after rebate is great.

So I take it 6600GT 128MB > X700 Pro 256MB? Does this card OC well? The 900MHz mem seems slow I guess...

to my knowledge, the 6600gt acts more like the 6800 which is, yes, faster then the x700. Im just too lazy at the moment to look for benchies. Just offering another solution.

I don't mean to steal the thread from the original poster, but I had a similar question to him (and figured I wouldn't spam the forums with another new thread).

System is in sig... but I probably won't be upgrading my system for another 4-6 months. When I do, it'll probably be a complete overhaul.

I play mostly old games, like WoW, FF11. Recently I picked up Civ4.. which my system stresses to handle, haha. I periodically play FPS, but not that much.

There was another thread on here that said unless it's a noticable upgrade, don't do it. Now the thing is FF11 and WoW run fine on my system... but it could be that ignorance is bliss. Not having had a better video card, I don't know what I'm missing out on.

For the games I play and my system... is the 6600GT from Newegg worth the buy right now?

Pkirk618 said:
thats aways away...

...everyone is talking about this one...

here

100 bucks for 6800 like performance....after rebate is great.

Crap, I sleep on it and now its OOS.

I'm in the same boat as you, doormat. I decided to go with an XFX GeForce 6800 (vanilla 128mb) for 175 at newegg. It should be a decent upgrade from my GF4 ti4200, especially since it's so easy to unlock the extra pipelines and shaders. I'll let you know how it compares when it gets here.

plinko said:
I'm in the same boat as you, doormat. I decided to go with an XFX GeForce 6800 (vanilla 128mb) for 175 at newegg. It should be a decent upgrade from my GF4 ti4200, especially since it's so easy to unlock the extra pipelines and shaders. I'll let you know how it compares when it gets here.

Good choice and good luck on the unlocking.

That is what I di don my work rig..went from a 4200 to a 6600GT. The 6600GT plays anything I toss at it....NO not all of the eyecandy, but enough where you dig the game your paying. I play WOW all of the time on my work rig and it rocks.

Back