upgrading from six core Xeon X5650 @4Ghz

leo_bsb

n00b
Hi guys,
I'm currently using a X5650 @4ghz watercooled, 18gb ram, 780TI and 1080P 140Hz Asus monitor. It will be SEVEN years with the same motherboard. I changed the videocard a few times and CPU one time, to the current xeon six cores- twelve threads.

I'll travel to USA on October and would be nice to use this opportunity to upgrade my system.

Reading some reviews I still couldn't find a reasonable upgrade path to follow.

I would like to really see the difference in quality and speed. Would it be a waste of money to just upgrade videocard and monitor and keep my old X58 platform?

I know it will only make sense to upgrade anything if I go 4K with a new monitor but my current mobo is showing some signs of its age, sometimes it just hangs on boot, maybe the caps are wearing out or it needs more voltage.

I'll probably need to replace all watercooling blocks, so it will be a huge hole in my pocket.

I'll probably need to replace all watercooling blocks, so it will be a huge hole in my pocket.

Those would be the least of your expense. I mean if you are planning on a new HEDT system (Intel or AMD) with a $1000 CPU and a $500 to $600 motherboard with $300+ in RAM I would not worry about the cost replacing the water blocks..

Those would be the least of your expense. I mean if you are planning on a new HEDT system (Intel or AMD) with a $1000 CPU and a $500 to $600 motherboard with $300+ in RAM I would not worry about the cost replacing the water blocks..

I'd like to stay on the $500 cost area for the CPU

Unless you need more cores, a 350$ 8700K with 6C/12T will do and last you ages as well.

Find a microcenter in the US and you can find great (below cost) CPU/motherboard combos.

Right now microcenter is running the 1800x at $350, the 1700x at $280, and the 1700 at $250.

Then you get $30 off any motherboard for buying both at once -- and they will price match online vendors on the motherbords before the $30 off.

They recently had fhe 6850k for $300 and a x99 board for $120 before the $30 off.

Last edited:
The 1900x looks to be a solid upgrade path. MB and Cpu should be around $900. Ram prices are crazy lately. You will probably want 32 gb since nobody goes lower than they had. Expect to pay another $400 for that.

Back