Upgrading Motherboard, CPU, Ram

Chase023

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly Gaming & Web Browsing and some Photoshop

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$400-$500 (not counting Tax and Shipping)
I am just looking to buy a Motherboard/RAM/CPU Cooler/Blu-Ray Drive

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Orange County, CA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Already bought an i5 4690k at Micro Center and maybe trying to get $40 off for the mobo if I buy it at the same place as well.
Motherboard/RAM/CPU Cooler/blu-ray drive hopefully a few choices for each

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing all other parts for now and upgrading rest later and putting it all in a Silverstone TJ10 with an Ultra X3 1600w power supply I had for years both never used, was going to do an ultimate build a few years ago but have no budget to spend on such a system anymore.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes most likely

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
2560 x 1600 will upgrade later to 32" Dell or LG or something..

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
No Special features,

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 64bit

An Ultra X3 1600W PSU? Are you trying to power a Death Star?

I was trying to before.... even tried to get an electrician to modify my outlets for 30AMP outlets so I could use the full 1600w LOL..

No more.. its just sitting there so I might as well use it now instead of buying a new PSU

The PSU was like my R.A.T. 9 Mouse I bought a long time ago and just sat there collecting dust.

Now how about some recommendations for the hardware? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mostly Gaming & Web Browsing and some Photoshop

since your doing that and you already piked up the i5 4690k - might as well go with the gigabyte z97 motherboard, buy a used blue ray player imo, i have a buddy selling one if you want to talk with him later.
for the ram, pick up some 1866 mhz, 2x8 cas9, 1.5v g.skills from newegg @ $75.99

do you want CLC? if so get the h100i or the h105 whatever fits but you will need a corsair link to setup profiles

if you want just air - go with the noctua 14/15d or the phanteks air cooler both great

You can forget about the Micro Center deal as you have to buy both the processor and the motherboard during the same visit. That said, most Micro Center stores will price-match with NewEgg, Amazon, and Fry's. (Call and confirm in advance of your next visit.)

Do you have any Blu-ray media software? If not, don't buy an OEM drive as you'll only grab the drive itself. (Do you really need a Blu-ray drive? You can grab a decent DVD burner for under $20 these days.)

How much are you planning to overclock the i5-4690K? Your answer helps us narrow down which motherboard and which CPU cooler you should look at.

Actually i asked one of the sales guys and they said as long as I have the receipt and its within 15 days they will honor it and give me the $40 off a motherboard, but if that fails I can just return the CPU within the time period and rebuy it because its not even opened, but regardless I am willing to buy from anywhere thats the lowest even if I have to order it online instead of picking it up.

I acutally do have 2 DVD burners that i mounted on the TJ10 ways back (Lite-On IDE 20X Super Allwrite DVD Rewriter/ASUS LightScribe 20X SATA DVD Burner) and still might be viable to use. Well Blu-Ray burner, i'll still think about it depending on the price and if its worth it.

I am going to overclock the i5-4690k to maybe 3.9Ghz or maybe closer to 4.4Ghz more depending on how cool the CPU stays under load.

I never have used liquid cooling in the past but I think I will try the almost maintenance free Corsair CPU coolers for the new CPU.

I used to spend alot on builds in the past but now I can't so I am trying to be more budget conscious.

How about

CPU: i5 4690k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866?
CPU cooler: H60 or maybe the H100i?

Hows that look? Any tweaks?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back