Upgrading my laptop hard drive

PinataUT

Gawd
See my .sig for laptop

Thanks guys - sorrry buried with less time to read now that spring has sproinged.

I'm a little under the gun so have less time for research than usual. I need to upgrade my laptop (computers - 4th hobby) so I can photograph (3rd hobby) a bunch of stuff at an upcoming ultimate frisbee tourney (2nd hobby) so I have more time to master my domain (1st hobby).

Ok, family, work, etc. are 1st.

Can you make specific recommendations on New Egg that would include "upgrading software for idiots?" I'm pretty sure that 120 or 160 would do me and I'm pretty sure I can even find the right hardware without tragedy.

How easy? plug in via USB, mirror, swap?

Before I can make any recommendations, what are you looking for? A huge drive (I think 320GB is the biggest laptop drive out there), speed (7200rpm, 200gig is the biggest I think) or best bang for you buck (5400rpm)?

My path of choice if you want versatility and ease of use would be the Apricorn EZ-UP Universal Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit.

I have used several versions of this over the years with great results. You buy this kit and then choose basically any size/speed drive that you want. Then 15 minutes and a couple of clicks later, you are cloning your old drive contents over to the new drive with little fuss or muss.

Hope this helps!

Both posts, helpful. Probably stick a 320 in there. And bump the RAM to 2G while I'm at it.

Thanks guys

Back