Upgrading on ram?

killab33

Limp Gawd
i have a ddr2 board and a ddr3 board.

i heard there wasn't much of a difference so should i stick with ddr2?

supposidly ddr2 could have better timings and could push more than ddr3 models also i don't have a lot of money to go ddr3 so what do you guys suggest?

also btw do most boards support ECC or is that only some boards still. just wondering cause i think ecc works great

What do you mean? The same motherboard but both ram versions?

There is a fairly noticeable difference between DDR3 and DDR2 if you have the good stuff.
DDR3 isn't really a lot of money anymore. I don't know where you live, but when I bought my G.skill 6gb 1333mhz ram kits in Canada, it cost me $230. Now you can find the 1600mhz models for $100.
That being said, I'm guessing your board doesn't support triple channel, so 4gb of ddr3 dual channel is not very expensive.

As far as ECC goes, I'm not really sure. I do know it's pretty easy to set ram timings yourself though.

Its true, DDR3 memory prices have gone down a LOT. go with ddr3, its what everything is changing to anyways

should i go with 4gb or go triple channel?

triple channel and 4gb = same price but of course triple channel is better but how much of the difference is there?

better timings? loose voltages?

Big difference is the amount of memory you can have. Of course, that's limited to your OS as well. If you're running 7 x64 or vista x64 then DDR3 is way better since you can get 6+ GB. Speeds/Timings aren't that much better in comparison.

Voltages vary depending on if you OC, and your CPU. What is in your rig right now?

Back