Upgrading PSU on a Prebuilt

The Goose

Gawd
I'm planning to upgrade a somewhat-old Dell prebuilt system. Currently, the specs are:

P4 w/HTT 3.0GHz
1GB (4x256) Samsung DDR2-400
Onboard graphics (hence the upgrade)
160GB Seagate HD
I also have a printer, wireless mouse/keyboard, monitor, iPod charger, and not much else connected to the computer.

I don't know my PSU as of at this moment, but I can tell that it is not good enough to run any major upgrades, and I want to get a new PSU before getting anything else, but, obviously, I want one cheaply, preferably under $75, because I need a new case, too. The video card I'm looking at is the x1950pro, which I've heard the required power is 450W and 30 amps on the 12V.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on power supplies for me? I found this one, but I don't know how good it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'll open up my case (for the first time, actually, it's a Dell prebuilt) ASAP so I can tell you guys what the PSU is on it.

suprisingly dell uses decent power supplies, you may be alright. Another thing you should look into is whether or not you have a propriatary supply, which saddly, dell uses also.

I checked on the Dell forums. Unfortunately, the system I have now is BTX, not ATX. Also, whenever you upgrade the motherboard, you need a new, fresh Windows buy because of Dell's OEM Windows. So, I will be buying a new PSU, case, motherboard, video card, and Windows XP soon (I'm not getting Vista for a while).

Oh well. I was going to get the PSU, case, and video card anyway. I would have gotten the mobo soon too. just not this soon. I can also get a legal unused copy of Windows from my friend for cheap. Thanks for the help, and thanks for reminding me to check ATX or BTX.

EDIT: Ha, I just realized I'll need memory, too, because any Core 2 mobo worth buying, at least, takes DDR2-533 at the least, and I have DDR2-400. Looks like the only things staying the same are going to be the CPU, hard drive, and the externals! Or...I could just get a ATX/BTX PSU off newegg.

Back