Upgrading to 4870 x2 from 8800gt questions.

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
I just received my 4870 x2 and wanted to gather the consensus of the forum concerning driver installation.

I intended to just reformat one of my harddrives for the installation of the 4870x2 to avoid any driver conflicts but wanted to see if others find it just as successful to install it with the current windows installation.

Please post your input as I want to continue using the 8800GT for physics processing.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

also, is there any preferred catalyst version that you would recommend?

THanks

People seem to really overthink this driver installation thing... Just pop in the card and install the drivers. Done. Simple. We aren't in the XP dark ages anymore.

As for what driver.. just install the newest one? 9.12?

9.12 has some stability issues so you may want to consider 9.11 or 9.10 if you run into driver crashes with it. Otherwise just install the card and install the drivers , thats it.

Reformat but not necessary for me (went back and forth with 8800gts same main hard drive) and 9.12 is recommended
I have win7 + 4870x2

I could never do this with Vista though always conflicts.

what is meant by "XP dark ages", people actually would reformat to install driver updates? sheesh gimme a break

as far as what drivers you should get, I'd avoid 9.12, it killed performance and introduced ridiculous stability issues (confirmed with my 4870X2 and a buddy's 4850 CF), 9.10 and 9.11 are fine, I think I'm currently using 9.10, it has no issues, performance is top notch, newer isn't always better

as far as stacking nVidia and ATi, haven't had an issue (and I'm using "Evil and archaic" Windows XP) with my 7900GS and 4870X2 running latest nV and Cat 9.10, and thats for multi-display and multi-display rendering

Just uninstall the Nvidia drivers from the control panel like any other program, swap the cards, then install the ATI drivers.

9.12 drivers work just fine with my dual 4870x2's, and actually gave me a performance boost in many games.

After the 4870x2 is installed, should I decide to use my 8800gt for physics, should I just install its driver then?

After the 4870x2 is installed, should I decide to use my 8800gt for physics, should I just install its driver then?

Just keep in mind that Nvidia does not allow you to use a Cuda GPU for PhysX when you have an ATI card installed as your primary adapter, part of their sore loser, "taking my ball & going home" strategy.

You have to use a hack to get it working. You can give it a shot: http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/...sx-when-ati-card-is-present-28.html#post82812

You CAN use the 8800GT for physics. However you will need to 'patch' the Nvidia drivers to make it work because with current drivers, Nvidia vendor locks the physx function when it detects that you also have an ATI card in the system.

what is meant by "XP dark ages", people actually would reformat to install driver updates?

What is meant by it is that with Vista being patched to a decent state, and with the release of Windows 7 there's no reason to be using a nine year old OS.

Back