Upload times and AMD server giveaway

flogge

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was thinking about putting in an application for that 48 core Magny Cours rig that AMD is offering for free and use it for bigadv crunching. My internet connection is slow as all hell. It takes me 20+ minutes to upload a regular A2 or A3 unit, let alone a bigadv unit. As close as I can figure this 48 core machine would finish a bigadv unit in about 17-18 hours, then on my connection could take over an hour to upload while the CPUs sit idle.

What I'm thinking is to set up 2 clients which would not run simultaneously. Each client would run with the -oneunit flag. When one unit is complete or nearly complete, a script would run to start the other client. The new client would download a new WU and begin crunching while the original client would finish up and upload the completed work, then terminate.

@ the beta testers:
Any idea if there is a change in the works to download a new WU earlier rather than waiting for the upload to complete?

@ the beta testers:
Any idea if there is a change in the works to download a new WU earlier rather than waiting for the upload to complete?
Don't expect any changes coming from Stanford on this.

However, for Linux boxen, there is a third party script called Langouste, written by tear, that accomplishes what you are looking for. I am thinking of incorporating it into -bigOS.

I think you could ask the evga vm guy for help if you need it, he's got it in the vm he made I think
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Excellent. I would love to apply -bigOS to this system if possible. I read in your other thread that -bigOS is optimized for Intel machines only. I know nothing of Linux so I would hate to ask for an AMD optimized OS without knowing what I'm asking for. I could probably also ask Slash2CPU from the folding forums what he is running on his 8P 32-core boxen.

The ppd/watt on a rig like this would be incredible. I think it would be in the neighborhood of 140-150k ppd and pull about 600-800W

So I was thinking about putting in an application for that 48 core Magny Cours rig that AMD is offering for free

I have not seen any news on this.Can you post a link with some information on this offer.
I have plenty of rack space for a system like this.

Holy crap batman, I wish I didn't just start bigadv or Id be all over this

Tobit, looks like you don't have to worry about messing with support for other people anymore

Then again, yours will be a more well rounded distro, it'll be easier for GPU's as well

guess you don't get out that easy! (still rooting for you, be nice to have something other people use that's [H] born!)

I am working on a video for youtube now for my submission.

With all my work with Mike Houston (AMD - during my ATI GPU times) and my rack setup, maybe I have a fighting chance ....!

Go Team #33!

Nice, Evil. I reckon I'll throw an essay their way, but I doubt I have a chance to defeat the Evil One.

I wouldn't mind giving something like this a go but being unemployed there's no way I could afford the PSU, RAM and other stuff needed to get this up and running. I'd hate to think what PSU I would need for it much less the price of all the RAM sticks needed to run all four CPUs. Sure, I'd love it but there's no way I'd be able to get it up and running.

I am guessing that the parts required to make the free components work would be more than $2k. There are 16 memory channels, 32 DIMM slots. 16x 2GB modules would be about $1200. Case and power supply are going to be another $400 or more. I would probably spring for an SSD for the reliability. 4x HSFs and case fans will be needed as well. Another $200-300 for a UPS. I am still game for the contest but it may require a little reshuffling of the finances. At least my power bills are cheap :D

Ninja Edit: Then again 4 TRUEs standing on a naked motherboard would be a lovely sight in my living room.

Last edited:
right. no need to get needlessly expensive for a folding rig.

I would get 16 1GB DDR3-1333 RAM modules for about $700, or 1066 modules for $640

No case.

$80 30GB Vertex SSD

$150 lets say for a good 1KW+ Enermax PSU

So, I'd be looking at $1000

right. no need to get needlessly expensive for a folding rig.

I would get 16 1GB DDR3-1333 RAM modules for about $700, or 1066 modules for $640

No case.

$80 30GB Vertex SSD

$150 lets say for a good 1KW+ Enermax PSU

So, I'd be looking at $1000
Agreed, besides one could always upgrade and add to the system later as budget permits. To get it started folding you wouldn't need tons of cash especially if the winner already some of the parts that could make it work like PSU, HD, video cards, etc.

I will be working on a video submission :D Might as well try.

Back