Urgent: Will this setup work to play BluRay 1080p?

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

My brother has a Panasonic Viera 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV (TH50PZ80).
I'm about to build him a new PC with an AMD 7750 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H AMD780G mATX AM2+/AM3 PCI-E DDR2 SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN HDMI Motherboard. It uses an ATI Radeon HD 3200 and supposedly it is capable of HD playback (bluray). Should I switch to a geforce 8200 motherboard?

The PC will only be used for web browsing and watching bluray movies from his PC to his HDTV via the HDMI output of his motherboard to a HDMI input on his TV. Everything should be smooth right? Even 1080p H.264 decoding?

thanks!!

Last edited:
Thats more than fast enough.

I run a 2.1GHz AMD dual core with an ATi 3400 and It can play blu-ray and record shows at the same time with no issues.

That system doesn't even need GPU acceleration with that CPU....

What I'm worried about is that I found this:

I also own a th50pz80 and have problems connecting to hdmi 3. Hdmi 1 works OK though (after a fashion). The main problem with this TV seems to be Panasonic only assumes PC operation using the VGA input. which limits the resolution to 1366 X 768. So if you have a Full HD movie it cannot be displayed. Unless you connect thru the hdmi port. In the manual it clearly states that "use with a PC is not assumed" using the hdmi method of input.
When using the hdmi input the refresh will not go beyond 30 interlaced.
My graphics card is HDCP compliant it's an asus 3450.

"will not go beyond 30 interlaced." Is this a bad thing?? I'd love to know more about this

Last edited:
I have the 720 model of the TV and a similar setup. Integrated HD 3200 with a 5200+ AMD 64 X2 and I could watch Bluray with no problems.

I have to warn that I think there's some bug with the HDMI port though, Unless the TV is set to that HDMI input before the PC comes on, you might not see anything on the screen.

I have the 720 model of the TV and a similar setup. Integrated HD 3200 with a 5200+ AMD 64 X2 and I could watch Bluray with no problems.

I have to warn that I think there's some bug with the HDMI port though, Unless the TV is set to that HDMI input before the PC comes on, you might not see anything on the screen.

oh good to know!

Back