US Cyberwar Plans are More than Defensive

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The National Journal has a long and interesting article about how the US wages cyberwar and how it’s more than the defensive tactics that are usually reported. Offensive strikes are revealed in the article, as well as general tactics and use. Don’t tl;dr this one if you’re curious about information warfare.

The U.S. is forming a cyberwar plan based largely on the experience of intelligence agencies and military operations. It is still in nascent stages, but it is likely to support the conduct of conventional war for generations to come. Some believe it may even become the dominant force.

Nice, hopefully by the time I join I can be a part of this.

does "tl;dr" mean something I don't have any idea about or is this a typo ? Gonna go check out the article now...

does "tl;dr" mean something I don't have any idea about or is this a typo ? Gonna go check out the article now...

tl;dr = too long; didn't read The semi-colon I believe is out of place, a comma would have sufficed.

As I tend to ramble on too long sometimes in emails, I've gotten that as a reply back from friends:p

Off to finish reading the article now!

Cyber conscription?

I Want YOUR computer to serve in the US military botnet.

Sounds good, now just overhaul the US grid to fiber or better and I'll be happy.

Now I understand the tl;dr. It is quite an article, I'm taking a break from it, but it's interesting.

As for joining the US cybercommand botnet... sign me up ! Skynet computer #9324608 is online !

Wow; four [H]'ers are eager to give the US government control of their computers?

That article must be pretty damn persuasive...I better go read it. :D

Of course U.S. cyberwarfare focuses on the defensive. If it gets annoying enough to go on the offensive, it'll be with physwarfare: bombs.

So, when does Tom Clancy get tapped for a management role??
Seriously, he's written and thought this a LOT!!

If you want to join on the side of angels go to http://dc3.mil they have run a challenge for a couple years now that gets top year or four teams jobs. Not always directly through the challenge but depending on your background and ethics they are a lot more open minded than they used to be. Of course if your not ethic moral or patriotic, your better off working for the cia or microsoft.

I would not mind working for the defense department, I think the job would be a lot of fun.

Wow; four [H]'ers are eager to give the US government control of their computers?

That article must be pretty damn persuasive...I better go read it. :D

I'm not willing to give them control of my computer per say, but if it's sort of like the digital Smackdown equivalent of SETI or F@H, sign me up.

Back