US Dept of Defense OKs Social Media Access

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The Pentagon gave the green light to DOD employees that are in nonclassified networks to use social media sites like Twitter or Facebook. I wonder how long it will take before this order is rescinded because some dimwit posted pics of the latest UAV in their Facebook.

The Pentagon says it recognizes that social networks, among other Web capabilities, are useful tools for interaction both within the Defense Department and between the agency and the general public. It is also satisfied with the balance it has struck between network security and use of Internet-based tools. And it also acknowledges that an either/or decision between security and information sharing is impractical.

Why does this sound like Grandpa's attempt to be "cool" and "with it" rather than a carefully considered policy change? What possible use could the freakin DoD have for "information sharing" via social media? At the risk of security? Real brainiacs.

Stupid idea. There is no reason those people should be accessing those websites. Again I say drop the blacklisting and do whitelisting.

What possible use is there to green-lighting this?

Every time they blacklist popular things, workarounds that are even greater security threats start to circulate. Besides, now with e-mail reply capability for Facebook, it was more an annoyance than anything.

Not saying this was the reason, but it may have been a factor.

I fking hate all these "Social" websites that people just waste time on. At least were here at [H] being productive learning new products, information, helping others, etc......

You should see the kids in school now, addicted to facebook/myspace and their cell phones. Our country is going down the shitter.

yea I don't get why this is even allowed. Most companies don't even allow these websites. They are huge productivity killers.

don't DOD monitor social network groups? how is that a plus? pink slip anyone

I'm pretty sure it's still blocked at the DoD itself, what they mean is nonclassified employees are allowed to create a facebook profile and use facebook/twitter from home.
I know currently DoD employees aren't allowed to even have a facebook account because of their line of work.

I fking hate all these "Social" websites that people just waste time on. At least were here at [H] being productive learning new products, information, helping others, etc......

You should see the kids in school now, addicted to facebook/myspace and their cell phones. Our country is going down the shitter.

So get off the computer and do something productive? Here, Facebook, there's no difference. You're still typing on the computer, socializing with your peers no matter how you paint it.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with families, relatives and friends that live all over the country. I don't consider it a waste of time to say hi to them from time to time. Might want to get off your high horse there.

As for the Department of Defense, I can't judge them. Maybe they have lounges with computers employees can use during their spare time, who knows. I think it's fairly safe to assume they're not going to allow critical computers and servers on unprotected internet.

you know it could just be a way to keep in touch with family while your working overtime because there is not enough man power to get things done otherwise.

Also it lets people know what is going on in their friends and families lives so that few minutes you have to email family you can mention things going on in their lives making it seem your their in spirit for it, or it could just be a waste of time.

At the end of the day it is more about options than anything else.

Being active duty USAF with 17 years service I'd say it's got it's good and bad things. Some of us can use it to tap experienced minds from around the world where a quick question can be answered by many and not by one guy who might be wrong. Many of us already do this with our cell phones anyways.

I have noticed many of our websites point to several different social sites but we couldn't access it from work and there was no way I'd check it out at home.

I do think many if not most people will abuse this just like they did with USB memory sticks.

tumblrkxv32y6j2e1qzf9fm.jpg

Now imagine that was posted by an assistant of your chief of staff :D

"Agh! I've been shot!"

"Must... post... facebook..."

911 or facebook? Pick one :D

I know currently DoD employees aren't allowed to even have a facebook account because of their line of work.

Got a link to the DoD Directive? If you are right then upwards of 80% of the Army is in non-compliance.

I wish I thought like this. My immediate question is, though, are you new to this country? :p

Well if you look at alot of the DoD's computers.. most have fairly decent security... the networks they have are mostly not even connected to the internet.. so this isnt really anything more than a PR Stunt... the problem isnt really a big deal from their networks anyway.. its when they allow people to take home secured workstations (laptops).. then they go online to edit their crap or even connect to the internet...With a lot of the bult in security and firewalls on those machines.. its gotta leave a pretty good wake whenever its connected to a server... allowing people to trace the workload based on those security features.. or so id assume...

tumblrkxv32y6j2e1qzf9fm.jpg

Now imagine that was posted by an assistant of your chief of staff :D

"Agh! I've been shot!"

"Must... post... facebook..."

911 or facebook? Pick one :D

Please, this is exactly what I mean. How dare you guys compare [H] as being the same thing as twitter. I learning my overclocking/computer/htpc/audio/etc.... all from message boards. Please tell me what you could possibly learn from twitter.

Please, this is exactly what I mean. How dare you guys compare [H] as being the same thing as twitter. I learning my overclocking/computer/htpc/audio/etc.... all from message boards. Please tell me what you could possibly learn from twitter.

Way to change one word on me. I said Facebook. Where did i compare Hardforum to Twitter? A lot of the news site contents consist of politics and criminal activities (relating to tech, albeit) and we merely discuss our opinion on them. There's nothing to learn about regarding to overclocking and the likes. It's discussions among peers, no different than what contents on Facebook can be.

Now, if you only post in hardware and software forums, then yeah its different.

I have zero experience with Twitter, so i make no judgement about them. You obviously have none with Facebook, yet you hold it in contempt. I don't suppose you're aware that the [H] founders have Facebook themselves and welcome all members to befriend them.

That doesn't say anything about who can maintain a facebook, twitter, or any other social networking page on off-duty time.

All the directive is saying is that they are allowing Units to create their own facebook page or twitter account and keep the people within the unit up to date without disclosing any classified information.

I see this is as kind of a waste. I'm in the Air Force and we already have a CoP and Sharepoint. I hate both of these. But they are secure .mil websites and can only be accessed using the CAC.

But I think this is just a way to get a newer generation into the military.

Back